APAC Compliance Manager, 2VP
APAC Central Compliance
Who we are
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise, and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
What we do
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
What you will do
The APAC Central Compliance Function is a new role created to support requirements that impact more than one APAC Compliance location or function. This role forms part of Global Compliance and Corporate Risk function and is entrusted with coordination, legal entity support and project support for the APAC Compliance function, thereby assisting the function in its mandate to provide regulatory advice and assurance to senior management, boards, relevant committees, regulators and clients and to ensure that Northern Trust meets its regulatory obligations at all times.
As part of the Asia Pacific compliance team, this role is in the second line of defence and will assist in a broad variety of activities to support the Compliance Function the implementation of the Northern Trust Compliance model. This role supports compliance in Australia, Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore and Tokyo in relation to embedding compliance and anti-financial crime requirements, including regulatory analysis and reviews, reporting, outsourcing, monitoring, project coordination and other activities that may impact several locations or functions. The role will also require close collaboration with legal entity and subject matter compliance in the APAC region as well as global stakeholders.
This role will report to the APAC Head of Compliance and AML.
- Conduct gap analyses between Northern Trust policies and regulatory requirements in APAC locations for review by Legal Entity Compliance by developing gap analysis templates, puling requirements from existing rules maps, determining gap analyses standards and completing gap analyses against existing local and regional policies
- Assist in and facilitates the development of Compliance and AML compliance framework and operating procedures for the APAC region as needed
- Support Compliance reporting at key governance forums in the APAC region, including at legal entity and regional risk and executive forums
- Develop and implement a framework to support outsourcing by the Compliance function in each location by identifying outsourcing conducted by each location, supporting adherence to legal entity outsourcing requirements such as implementation of service agreements, ensuring vendors are providing required reporting, and conducting quality assurance on KRIs and KPIs (where applicable)
- Conduct and support Compliance monitoring within the APAC region by developing monitoring templates, identifying new monitoring opportunities and developing related monitoring mechanisms, conducting quality assurance on monitoring activities conducted by other functions and reporting on monitoring findings
- Support global and regional project by representing the function at relevant forums, coordinating requests for information and supporting other regional initiatives to ensure the proper functioning of the APAC Compliance function such as the development of a consequence management mechanism
- Develop and ensure implementation of record keeping mechanisms for the APAC Compliance function
- Works in partnership with the regional and global Compliance, Risk and Controls teams
- Works on projects and increases understanding of project management
- Fluent in English and ability to communicate in a clear, concise and effective manner (verbal and written)
- Experience in developing processes, procedures and frameworks
- Ability to leverage technology solutions such as Excel macros, powerpoint and others
- Project management skills
- Understanding of regional regulatory requirements such as Singapore MAS, Australian ASIC, APRA, AUSTRAC and RBA, Hong Kong SFC, China’s CBIRC, PBOC and SAFE, South Korea’s FSC and FSS and Japan’s FSS, JITA and JIAA. It is not expected that a candidate will have knowledge of all regulators but the ideal candidate will be able to work across the nuances of multiple regulatory requirements.
- Experience at international organization is desirable
- Management of regulatory exams and audits would be beneficial
- Strong organisational skills, a collaborative approach to work, with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to use initiative and work unsupervised in a proactive manner
- At least 5-10 years of related experience
Northern Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We aim for excellence in our efforts to recruit, develop and deploy the highest caliber workforce. Our commitment and success to a diverse workforce is evident in employee satisfaction and industry acknowledgment.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.