General Accounting Manager
Tarmac is the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Our innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future.
We are currently looking for a General Accounting Manager for a fixed term contract. This great opportunity is immediately available for a period of 12 months and will be based at Tarmac head office in Solihull with some remote working due to the current climate. In conjunction with the senior manager for Record to Report (R2R), they will contribute to the delivery of strategy for R2R and its stakeholders and will have their own project areas and continuous improvement initiatives to lead.
The General Accounting Manager’s main responsibilities will comprise of:
- Providing support to the production and audit of the Statutory Financial Statements, indirect tax compliance and payroll accounting, managing their own team in the delivery of this.
- They will manage and support their team in the delivery of the month end close and statutory accounting processes which culminate in the signing of the audited accounts.
- They will play a key part in planning, executing, and concluding our external audits, liaising with both senior internal and external stakeholders.
- They will perform their own internal controls (Sarbanes Oxley) whilst monitoring outputs of others especially during the month end cycle.
- There is a need to demonstrate strong accounting knowledge, communication skills and problem solving ability with technical systems experience, process excellence, and project management to maximise collaboration, sharing best practice across the Shared Service Centre and wider business communities.
- They will own the balance sheet accounts for payroll transactions and other miscellaneous accounts impacted by direct vendor charges.
- They will support the month end periodic close and balance sheet and journal compliance
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate you will be imminently available and have strong technical financial knowledge. To be considered for the role you must hold an accounting qualification such as ACA, ACCA or CIMA, trained in practice with an audit background with 3 years post qualification experience. You'll have a good understanding of how end-to-end accounting processes should work. Excellent planning and communication skills are also vital as are strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships at all levels. This includes strong stakeholder management, with the ability and confidence to communicate effectively with senior management.
Finally, you must be decisive under pressure considering the criticality and urgency of decisions and highly organised with a pragmatic and, where needed, flexible approach to achieve deliverables and have knowledge of IFRS.
At Tarmac we are passionate that our workforce reflects the communities where we operate. Our ambition is that everyone regardless of level, role, or background will enjoy an environment of respect, inclusion and belonging. We actively remove barriers to ensure everyone is supported and can reach their potential with us. We take active steps to encourage people from a broad range of backgrounds to apply for jobs at Tarmac as we believe a diverse, inclusive company will enable everyone to thrive. We are a disability confident employer and will make reasonable adjustments as required. We are committed to support flexible working and believe getting the balance right is critical to personal and professional success.