Finance Business Partner Lead at HQ Air Command
Are you a positive, organised and proactive individual who is looking for a challenging role within a busy and fast-moving function? Do you have a passion for leading, developing and supporting people and driving transformation and change? If so, then we want you to join our large and inclusive Air Finance team at HQ Air Command, RAF High Wycombe.
In Air Finance we strive to be an expert business partner, integrated within Air Command, driving, adding, and protecting value. We are looking for two experienced senior finance business partners with an interest in working in Defence and a willingness to work hard, gain knowledge and support the RAF’s senior leaders. Relationship management and stakeholder communication is a key part of this role to ensure stakeholder confidence and raise awareness of interdependencies ensuring timely delivery against objectives.
You must have a professional accountancy qualification (CCAB or equivalent) to compliment your substantial finance experience.
Headquarters Air Command is an attractive place to work. Located in the village of Walters Ash, there are good public transport links with regular bus services to/from Aylesbury and High Wycombe as well as free car parking on site. Currently we are moving through a period of Transformation, we offer a friendly and supportive environment to work in. For those who wish to progress, there are development opportunities in the MoD and the wider Civil Service.
Taking account of the current pandemic situation, the majority of staff are mainly working from home where they are able to do so. In line with Air Command's longer-term strategy, it is envisaged that the opportunity to work from alternative locations will continue where possible, noting that business requirements will govern attendance where necessary. This will include travel to MoD Main Building in Central London as well as occasional travel to other RAF and MoD establishments nationally, subject to the current COVID-19 restrictions.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week
Finance Business Partner Leads
The Finance Transformation Programme has delivered significant improvements to the Financial Management of Air Command since its conception in 2017. We have introduced a new Finance Function structure, built new capability and delivered improvements to Financial Management Information alongside expanding Budget Accountability.
Delegation and Empowerment.
In 2021 we will implement further improvements to our Financial Management, expanding our delegation of budgets by including the RAF’s Deputy Commanders (DComs) in our formal accountability structure. To enable the continued expansion in Delegations and Financial Management, two additional B1 Finance Business Partner posts are required to further improve capability and capacity of the Finance Business Partner team and provide direct support to the DComs, who hold the two most senior positions in the RAF, with the exception of the Chief of the Air Staff.
In your role as a Finance Business Partner Lead you will also be expected to undertake the following specific tasks:
- Leading the team, providing strategic direction for the function. Actively manage the talent and career paths of all direct reports, providing support for all to be successful in their roles.
- Being accountable for the delivery of the finance business partner service for the Deputy Commander ensuring it is delivered in an efficient and cost-effective way, whilst meeting expectations around quality of service.
- Building and maintaining technical knowledge and sharing good practice across Finance. Using this knowledge to drive continuous improvement, and high performance
- Being accountable for key stakeholder relationships and acting as a point of escalation to resolve any issues.
- Driving a culture of process automation, where possible eliminating manual activities and providing a more effective service to internal and external clients.
A flexible approach to work is essential to ensure team outputs are produced to time and quality. You will report to the Head of Finance, Ian Baker, who in turn reports to the Director of Resources for Air, Steve Lock.
The applicant must be fully qualified member of a CCAB accountancy qualification awarding body. (ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA, ICAEW or equivalent).
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- 25 days paid annual leave rising to 30 days on completion of 5 years’ service
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive one additional leave day for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Highly competitive civil service pension scheme
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Subsidised membership to a fitness suite and lunchtime/evening Military led fitness classes
- Café and shop on site
For more information and to apply, please visit the Civil Service website via the apply button below.