Our client has a vacancy for an experienced Management Accountant. The incumbent will perform management accounting functions to ensure accurate and complete accounting, analysis and reporting in compliance with contractual and legislative requirements.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, cost accounting or finance with at least five years’ experience, of which three years’ must be in management accounting in a medium to large business; OR
- An Honours degree or CIMA qualification with at least three years’ experience in management accounting in a medium to large business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of contract accounting and reporting in terms of stakeholder, contractual and legislative requirements and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of monthly PG and levy declaration.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and annual management reporting and analysis within the required time frames to provide feedback on performance and support management decision making.
- Prepare the monthly financial reporting pack.
- Review financial reports on contracts and projects, monitor spending on projects and communicate GAPs or potential over/ or underspend pro-actively.
- Investigate budget variances, obtain explanations, and ensure corrective action is taken to address variances.
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial information, direct and indirect cost recoveries, monthly PG declarations, reconciliations, cleaning of accounts, interest calculations and general financial query support.
- Report on outstanding debt and, ensure effective debt collection through engagement with clients and operational staff.
- Review the status of open orders and ensure follow up actions are in effect.
- Review, verify and validate local employee reimbursement claims prior to submission for processing.
- Ensure accurate accounting of all costs in compliance with contractual requirements, company policies and procedures and relevant legislative requirements.
- Review and approve journals and supporting documentation for validity, accuracy, and correctness.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of overhead cost and recovery journals to distribute costs and recoveries to various departments.
Skills and experience
- Skilled in financial management, budgeting, forecasting, internal controls and auditing requirements.
- Knowledge and application of contract and project management principles as well as accounting requirements.
- Excellent computer skills and a solid understanding of accounting systems and dependencies on other systems/modules.
- Ability to analyse, interpret and present financial information in a simplified format.
- Ability to work independently with limited or no supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure while ensuring accuracy and paying attention to detail.
- Ability to apply checks and balances to transactions and procedures to ensure data integrity.
- Ability to work with senior management, excellent problem solving and planning skills.
- Good supervisory, mentoring, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge and application of contract and project administration principles and accounting requirements.
- Solid understanding of VAT, good working knowledge of exchange control requirement and accounting framework.
- Good understanding of the applicable legal and statutory requirements of a State-Owned Enterprise.