Senior Consolidation Management Accountant
The STFC Financial Business Partnering Team has a vacancy for a Senior Consolidation Management Accountant. The post will be based at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire. The role will report to the STFC Head of In Year Financial Management and requires a proactive individual who is highly organised with strong analytical and communication skills
As Senior Consolidation Management Accountant you will be expected to develop a thorough understanding of all aspects of STFC’s activities from a financial perspective and maintain excellent working relationships with Finance Business Partners and Management Accountants, the STFC Senior Management Team and UKRI Central Finance colleagues. You will need to communicate effectively within the wider UKRI & STFC Finance teams in order to coordinate departmental finances with STFC’s overall financial planning and management.
You will also perform a range of reporting, systems and control functions, but fundamentally will be responsible for producing accurate STFC-level consolidated Management Accounts, budgets, forecasts, analysis and reporting which has had input and buy in from Finance Business Partners and Management Accountants to provide information that can be relied upon for STFC Financial Management Committee, Operations Board and Executive Board decision-making.
You will work with the STFC Finance FBP team to harmonise and standardise processes where practicable and develop insightful reporting, highlighting cost drivers and variance analysis with commentary that gives the reader additional valuable information.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Provide analysis to support business and strategic planning including in year, forward planning, and Spending Reviews.
- Plan, co-ordinate and oversee the annual STFC budget exercise
- Co-ordinate and oversee the production and collation of budgets in STFC’s Hyperion Planning Tool.
- Co-ordinate and oversee the month end process for STFC; communicating any key deadlines to the Finance Business Partnering team.
- Manage the monthly production of actual, budget and forecast figures (including OpEx)
- Co-ordinate and oversee the production of monthly management accounts and reporting, including commentary, ensuring that the appropriate action is taken to address any issues
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders to ensure that the information feeding into forecasts is as realistic and up to date as possible
- Provide analysis and content to support papers going to the STFC Executive and Operations Boards
- Responsible for the submission of the monthly and quarterly BEIS actual and forecast reports (through EPM system), having a clear understanding of where these differ from any internal reporting
- Develop a strong understanding of the strategic financial risks, pressures and opportunities for STFC both in year and in future years to ensure effective financial decision-making
- Ensure the business unit and cost centre structure for STFC is effective in managing and accounting for the business
Personal Qualities, experience, skills and qualifications
- Qualified accountant (ACA/CIMA/ACCA/CIPFA) or substantial relevant business experience
- A strong understanding of accounting and finance
- Ability to take a “big picture” view of the organisation’s budget and exercise judgement on complex financial issues
- Well-organised and able to work independently
- Effective interpersonal skills and influencing skills
- Excellent written communication skills with clear presentation of figures and written explanation/commentary
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to present financial information effectively to non-finance staff in a variety of meeting settings both formal and informal; via Zoom or face to face
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines for both internal and external stakeholders
- Clear experience of supporting delivery of effective budget-management
- Experience of Financial Management Reporting for complex organisations
- Experience of IT reporting systems (Hyperion or similar desirable) and applications including Microsoft Excel (Advanced user) and Word
This is an outline description of the key responsibilities and accountabilities involved in the job. This is not an exhaustive list and the post-holder might be expected to undertake other duties across the wider directorate, commensurate with the Band and level of responsibility of this post, for which the post holder has the necessary experience and/or training.