Associate - 1 , Taxation
The Fund Administration Tax Department is responsible for preparing and reviewing federal and state tax calculations for Regulated Investment Companies. The work is comprised of preparing income and excise tax provisions, federal and state tax returns, shareholder reporting information and providing tax consulting to our clients. The department is to ensure timely and accurate delivery of all client deliverables. The job family consists of entry level positions and manager roles. The roles listed below are predominately operationally focused with some client facing aspects.
Why this role is important to us:
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS’ tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for:
- This is the entry-level professional position in the Tax Department. Individuals perform mutual fund tax calculations and reporting functions in a manner that ensures fund objectives.
- This is an entry, training level position. Individuals are learning about all aspects of tax administration. Work is routinely reviewed by an immediate manager.
- Prepare simple federal, state and city income and franchise tax returns for mutual fund clients.
- This requires strong excel skills and willingness to learn what tax adjustments need to be applied to accounting data.
- Understand the Fund Accounting System to compile audit and tax work papers and returns.
- In addition to preparing the actual calculations, reconciliations will need to be performed.
- The candidate should have knowledge of financial instruments and the type of income, expenses and revenue that arises from trading in these instruments.
- Establish knowledge of IRS tax laws.
- Review IRS compliance packages prepared by Fund Administration.
What we value:
These skills will help you succeed in this role:
- Demonstrates competencies in own area and in general business principles; may still be acquiring higher skill level
- Works on practical tasks to established procedures
- Typically works with moderate guidance, accountable for individual results and impact on work group.
Education & Preferred Qualifications:
- Equivalent to a B.S. degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field.
- Good attention to detail and time management skills.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency.
- Interprets client needs and works to meet those needs, offering assistance and advice on standard practical issues; may call on others for help in situations outside own area of knowledge
- Understands the key business practices relating to own area; uses this knowledge to focus and improve own work.
- Identifies the problem and all relevant issues in straightforward situations; generates possible solutions, assesses each using standard procedures and makes a sound decision
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to understand complex concepts.
- Probes and listens carefully, presents information clearly and in appropriate style, makes technical information.
- clear, persuades others in straightforward situations.
- Contributes actively in team activities, sharing experience and ideas.
- Builds useful working relationships outside own area.
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.