Senior Tax Advisor - Open to flexible working
The Private Client Services team at EY acts for a wide range of large privately-owned UK and inbound businesses, entrepreneurial companies, family businesses and offices and private equity portfolio companies. We aim to be trusted advisers to our clients and deliver a broad range of tax advisory services, including cash tax savings and value creation, reorganisations, international tax advisory, transactions and ongoing maintenance of the tax structure of our clients. The team is a mix of advisers providing corporate and personal tax services to these businesses, their owners and management.
The Cambridge team has striving plans for the coming years and we are setting out a clear message that we are building a team for the future. We want the right people on board to achieve these growth objectives. We are looking for people with corporate tax expertise and who want to develop their career within the Private Mid-Market sector.
This is an exciting role for a motivated and ambitious individual who wants an opportunity to gain experience working in the mid-market and enhance their skills, advising dynamic private businesses.
As we seek to further grow the tax business and build new contacts and engagements, we are looking for tax professionals who excel at client relationships and who have the confidence and would like to develop existing clients and win new work. Business development skills, in terms of being able to go out and meet contacts, understand their business needs and determine how we can add value to them by addressing those needs, is therefore a key requirement. In return we’ll provide investment in the right sort of training and offer you the opportunities on projects and assignments that will develop and challenge you so that you’re in the best place to develop you tax career.
As a corporate tax professional you’ll provide and manage a full range of tax services as the key relationship holder with the client. You’ll be working alongside specialists on a day to day basis to broaden your experience of different tax areas to help our clients through the challenges of planning, managing compliance obligations and maintaining effective relationships with the tax authorities.
The varied work means ultimately this role will offer broad experience with significant exposure to senior stakeholders, responsibility in key conclusions and a more varied portfolio to help you develop your career with EY.
Your key responsibilities
You will contribute to the efficient and successful delivery of tax services to the clients, building and maintaining tax relationships with clients to provide high levels of client service.
- Build and maintain tax relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service, both in the delivery of your own work and in overseeing the work delivered by other teams, such as tax compliance and specialists
- Be a trusted adviser to your clients, not just in tax but in all areas of business and finance
- Responsible for day-to-day client liaison and managing a portfolio of clients
- Contribute to the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business focussed approach. Projects are broad and varied, but include such areas as:
- Group reorganisations, mergers and demergers, restructuring and statutory clearance applications
- Technical analysis and advisory in respect of such areas as Corporate Interest Restriction, CFC’s, loss relief etc to assist with the compliance process
- Assisting with international expansion planning and execution
- Considering the impact of Transfer Pricing, BEPS and Permanent Establishment issues on your client portfolio
- Advising on the tax impact of commercial decisions such as contracting parties, ownership of IP and global mobility of staff
- Preparing for transactions, due diligence and post transaction structuring
- Working closely with personal tax colleagues to look holistically at shareholder planning and exit
- Build relationships within the firm to identify opportunities and take the best of EY to your clients and contacts
- Contribute to winning new work by proactively managing existing clients and contribute to winning new clients.
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong technical skills and keen to develop further
- Ability to build strong client relationships and think broadly and holistically about your clients’ business
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to consult
- Client focused and commercially aware with a general interest in business and finance
- Relationship management skills with ability to manage client expectations and deliver quality output
- Ability to build effective relationships at all levels
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team
To qualify for the role, you must have
- ACA/CA/ACCA/CTA; or Tax Inspectors with full Technical Training Course; or Law qualification
- Experienced corporate tax practitioner
- Proven ability to read and interpret existing and new tax statute
- Business development skills, able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
What we look for
- Confidence to manage your client relationships and become their trusted adviser
- Proactively maintain your technical knowledge by keeping abreast of global developments in UK and international tax concepts and issues.
- Team player; ability to integrate with new teams quickly
- Outgoing with good relationship skills and the ability to deliver quality output
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.