Corporate Finance - Firmwide Economic Scenarios – Senior Associate
The Firmwide Economic Scenarios & Analytics team within the Office of the CFO oversees the development and distribution of macroeconomic scenarios used in the Firm’s forecasting processes. The team collaborates with the Economics and Strategy Research teams, Risk functions, CFO / Financial Planning teams, and other corporate areas such as Investor Relations and Capital Management. The scenarios cover key U.S. and global macroeconomic indicators, fixed income markets, equity markets, etc., and accordingly, a broad knowledge base across economics and finance is essential. The team develops scenarios across a range of potential economic backdrops which are distributed Firmwide.
Overview & Responsibilities
The Senior Associate is expected to play an integral role in the team’s scenario design work and macroeconomic forecasting including directly executing forecasts for macroeconomic variables (e.g. GDP, unemployment, monetary policy, interest rates, credit spreads, equity indexes, FX rates, etc.). The role can expect to have some exposure to senior leaders, and will have the opportunity to develop important leadership and analytical skills required to advance in the Firm. The Senior Associate will:
- Support the execution of macroeconomic forecasts that make up the scenarios, working closely with key forecasting partners (JPM Economic / Strategy Research teams or other subject matter experts) and consumers of the scenarios (Risk and Finance Lines of Business). Ensure controls and governance are properly implemented and documented. Experience with scenario design, CCAR, and / or CECL a plus
- Monitor and prepare commentary on economic releases and events, and stay abreast of trends in equity markets, fixed income markets, mortgage markets, etc. and anticipate implications for macroeconomic forecasting and scenario design
- Coordinate and manage multiple project workstreams as well as inbound questions, deliverables, and ad-hoc requests, with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness of meeting deliverables on prescribed timelines
- Support ad-hoc analysis as needed, e.g. evaluating the Firm’s exposures and sensitivities to key macroeconomic variables, and connecting macroeconomic drivers to emerging industry trends
- Develop executive-level presentations for Investor Relations, senior management, regulators, and internal stakeholders
- Support the development, enhancement, and documentation of macroeconomic forecasting methodologies. Perform periodic model performance assessments and recalibrations
- Strong quantitative skills: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a quantitative discipline a plus – Economics / Quantitative Finance, Statistics / Engineering / Mathematics, etc.; Master’s a plus
- 5+ years of work experience in research / forecasting / business analytics for a leading financial institution / central bank, consulting firm or similar, with a strong background / interest in economics and familiarity with macroeconomic forecasting methods and scenario analysis
- Demonstrable experience in forecasting and statistical analysis of macroeconomic and / or financial modeling. Advanced Excel and Microsoft Office skills. Experience with programming languages / statistical software (e.g., EViews, Stata, Python, R) considered a plus
- Exceptionally detail-oriented with the ability to synthesize large amounts of data and various viewpoints, summarize key concepts, and clearly articulate relevant conclusions
- Excellent organizational and communication (verbal and written) skills
- A proven track record of executing against deliverables and meeting deadlines under pressure
- Self-starter, with an ability to multitask in a fast-paced, results-driven environment with frequently changing priorities
- Works well individually and in teams, shares information, supports colleagues, and encourages participation
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that we’re setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.