Global Real Estate Lease Administration - Associate
JPMorgan Chase's Corporate Controllers is a global organization of approximately 1,500 colleagues, operating through a partnership among Corporate Accounting Policies, Corporate Regulatory Policy & Reporting, Corporate Financial Reporting, Corporate Sector Controllers, Global Finance Operations (GFO), Global Finance India, and Finance Platform Strategy & Controls. Working together, our strengths and resources enable us to ensure the integrity of the JPMorgan Chase consolidated books and records and the results of individual legal entities within the Firm. The controllership function is focused on ensuring and improving the organization's credibility through accounting, financial controls, systems and reporting.
Corporate Sector Controllers is responsible for financial and operational accounting activities, internal controls, and financial reporting for the Corporate Line of Businesses (LOBs), as well as centrally managed Firm-wide accounting activities. The Global Real Estate Controller team is comprised of business and accounting professionals across the globe who have direct responsibility for a firm-wide real estate portfolio in more than 60 countries across 5,500 owned and leased properties, covering approximately 74 million square feet.
Associate Controller will support Global Real Estate – Lease Administration.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Manage a high volume, complex, and diverse portfolio of work which may include all aspects of lease management, including, but not limited to, creation of the lease record, abstraction of executed legal documents, recurring and non-recurring payments, reconciliations, issue escalation, ad hoc landlord requests, and lease disposals.
- Work closely with Global Real Estate Accounting team to ensure accuracy and completeness of abstracted lease details as it relates to FASB ASC 842 and IFRS 16.
- Ensure property ownership changes and updates are reviewed, proper documentation is obtained, and timely and properly completed to ensure associated payments are processed within the terms and conditions of the lease.
- Review, analyse, interpret, and summarize complex legal documents (Leases, Amendments, Assignments, Termination Agreements, Contracts, etc.).
- Review, analyse and reconcile information and obligations, funding, and invoicing requiring knowledge of fixed asset accounting concepts, budget codes and incorporating process/policy standards.
- Ensure accurate and timely payments are submitted (in some cases, including detailed and comprehensive account and contract analysis for allowable costs).
- Assist internal and external partners with appropriate documentation and problem resolution.
- Gather appropriate facts, and complete detailed review, analysis, and evaluation of data necessary to prepare legal documents to include Estoppel and/or Subordination Non-Disturbance and Attornment (SNDA) legal documentation as required by lease or other legal documents.
- Respond to, research and resolve outstanding items.
- Manage and maintain relationships with landlords, tenants, and internal and external business partners who provide coverage over diverse sectors to include Facilities Management, Consumer Bank Distribution Network, Design and Construction, Global Security, Critical Systems, and Energy and Sustainability to facilitate effective partnering and issue resolution.
- Provide recommendations to the legal and transactions teams to assist with development of appropriate and improved legal language to improve lease and contract management.
- Identify exceptions to standards, determining underlying causes and escalating to the supervisor and/or partners as appropriate.
- Timely provide detailed and accurate quarterly accrual information.
- Respond to and address ad hoc requests received via shared or individual mailboxes and phone.
- Maintain accurate documentation to support transaction processing in compliance with Corporate and Global Real Estate Accounting practices and policies.
- Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Real Estate, Finance, Economics, Law or equivalent required
- Possess a general understanding of lease administration impacts on lease accounting specific to IFRS 16 and FASB ASC 842
- Commercial real estate, lease administration or lease accounting experience
- Adaptable to increased work schedule demands on occasion/during close
- Intermediate Microsoft Office expertise required, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to interpret complex commercial lease language and demonstrated thorough understanding of legal documents required
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge and understanding of lease accounting transactions and activities
- Excellent listening, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills required. Demonstrated ability to perform and communicate effectively while under pressure.
- Proven ability to exhibit poise, composure and confidence when confronting stressful or high-pressure situations and accountability for actions and behaviour
- Ability to research and resolve or suggest resolutions to problems (including detailed follow-up)
- Hands on, self-starting, disciplined, and detail-oriented individual with ability to work independently and identify and implement solutions to issues in a high volume environment that requires a work product that is highly accurate and timely provided
- Highly organized with ability to manage multiple priorities and time sensitive deliverables and deliver quality results on time
- Ability to adapt to change
- Efficient, proactive, responsive, team player with a proven track record of establishing and maintaining strong client and internal partner relationships
- Personally exhibits a strong commitment to dependability and reliability with the ability to gain and maintain the confidence of team, partners and clients
- Must be able to work in a high volume, time sensitive environment with a focus on teamwork, meeting established deadlines, and multi-tasking as required under pressure
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
About the Team
Our professionals in our Corporate Functions cover a diverse range of areas from finance and risk to human resources and marketing. Our corporate teams are an essential part of our company, ensuring that we’re setting our businesses, clients, customers and employees up for success.
Global Finance & Business Management works to strategically manage capital, drive growth and efficiencies, maintain financial reporting and proactively manage risk. By providing information, analysis and recommendations to improve results and drive decisions, teams ensure the company can navigate all types of market conditions while protecting our fortress balance sheet.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.