Children First Academy Trust
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Children First Academy Trust opened in April 2019 and has a portfolio of five primary schools in the Edmonton area of North London. The trust is dedicated to improving education and the futures of children living within the Edmonton community. The five schools are within two miles of each other and serve similar cohorts. One school was judged to be 'requires improvement' just prior to joining the trust and the team have worked hard to raise standards. They are looking forward to the next inspection when it is expected to be at least good in all areas. All other schools were judged 'good' by Ofsted at their last visit. The team are not complacent and target resources and expertise to ensure the children get the best possible experience.
The schools in the trust are notably in areas of significant deprivation. Around 30% of their 3,200 students are eligible for free school meals, and 40% are eligible for the pupil premium (an additional allocation of funds by the government to help accelerate the progress of the most disadvantaged). In addition, 60-90% of students across the trust have English as an additional language. The trust recognises these disadvantages, and has incorporated bettering the lives and futures of their students as a core part of their trust values and ethos.
The board seeks 2 business leaders with board level experience in
- Finance at CFO level (with accountancy qualifications) or
- Legal/Compliance or
- Risk management or
- Business operations
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- Ensuring the Requires Improvement rated school is improved and rated as Good at the next OFSTED inspection.
- Raising standards at one of the academies that is currently rated as Good.
- Ensure budgets are well managed in the context of reducing pupil numbers across the local authority.
- Recruiting and retaining high quality staff on the edge of London at 'Outer London' pay level.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours' time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
What next? Call to action - please visit AA. Org (can be edited to attract candidates)
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/children-first-academy-trust
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.