Grade 7 Advisory and Forensic Accountant
Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 4AD : Bristol, South West, BS2 0EL : Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 4GF : Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT3 9HY : Cardiff, Wales, CF14 5YA : Stratford, London, E20 1HZ : Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 8FT : Glasgow, Scotland, G1 1GY : Gartcosh, Scotland, G69 8AE : Leeds, Yorkshire and the Humber, LS1 1RA : Leeds, Yorkshire and the Humber, LS1 4SA : Manchester, North West, M60 9AF : Salford, North West, M60 9HL : Nottingham, East Midlands, NG2 1AB : Nottingham, East Midlands, NG2 1BD : Nottingham, East Midlands, NG2 1BG : Portsmouth, South East, PO6 3XA
About the job
HMRC is the UK's tax, payments and customs authority and we have a vital purpose: collecting the money that pays for the UK’s public services and helping families and individuals with targeted financial support.
Advisory and Forensic Accountants Team
We have approximately 140 Advisory and Forensic Accountants within HMRC and by joining us you will be able to support HMRC’s drive to tackle avoidance and criminality, while making a positive difference to the nation’s finances. You will play an active role in high-profile issues and ultimately your work will touch the lives of everyone in the UK.
We are seeking to fill posts in four different Advisory and Forensic Accountant roles. These roles are senior leadership roles as follows:
• For 2 of the posts, your work will principally support the Large Business customer group, which is responsible for over 2,000 of the largest businesses in the UK. These posts can be located in London and Bristol.
• For 1 post, your work will principally support the Solicitor’s Office, which is responsible for all accountancy advice given to support HMRC officers, whether in court or within HMRC. This post can be located in Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham, Portsmouth or Salford
• For 1 post,your work will principally support the following directorates:
i) Wealthy and Mid-sized Business Compliance / Individuals and Small Business Compliance, which is responsible for delivering operational compliance work nationwide across the full range of taxes and duties for businesses and individuals;
ii) Fraud Investigation Service directorate, responsible for civil investigations in tackling the most serious tax evasion and fraud; and
iii) Counter-Avoidance, which leads in HMRC’s drive to tackle tax avoidance, combining operational and policy work on marketed avoidance.
This role can be located in either Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow or Nottingham.
• For 1 post, your work will principally support the Fraud Investigation Service directorate which is responsible for criminal investigations in tackling the most serious tax evasion and fraud.
This role can be located in either Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Gartcosh, Leeds, London, Nottingham or Salford.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant who has trained and spent a few years in the profession or industry. This could be in the public sector or private sector.
You will be joining a team who share their wealth of knowledge and breadth of experience and apply this to commercial situations, both on an advisory perspective as well as a forensic perspective (i.e. for court).
• Be a visible leader within and outside HMRC, promoting the work of the directorates and HMRC, working cross directorate and actively implementing strategy.
• Support litigation, to include acting as an expert witness, case accountant or witness of fact and be proactive in assisting others involved in litigation. You will prepare and review professional reports with both factual and opinion evidence, attending case conferences, meetings and Court appearances whilst acting with professionalism, integrity and independence at all times.
• Provide accounting advice, analysing relevant customer facts, accounting frameworks, applying precedent and, where appropriate, challenging customer’s accounting analysis.
• Support risk activities, including reviewing financial statements and accounting information, meeting with customers and working with other specialists to form a view and assess impact for tax.
• Communicate, meet and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders to influence behaviour, including case teams, policy experts, other advisory and forensic accountants, courts and customers.
• Develop and provide quality accountancy training to accountancy and tax professionals. Tailor training materials and offer follow up support to delegates.
• Coach and mentor colleagues and trainees, using own skills and experience to aid their development.
• Share knowledge amongst Advisory and Forensic accountants and more widely, as appropriate, using innovative methods and digital tools.
• Assist delivery of strategic objectives, matching resource to risk, through prioritisation, work planning and national/cross directorate work sharing.
• Display expertise and experience at a sufficient level and authority to appear credible to courts, tribunals, accountancy firms, customers and senior HMRC officers.
Essential criteria / experience:
• Full and complete qualification from, and continuing membership of, at least one of the following professional accounting bodies: the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS), Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) or the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).
• Strong financial accounting experience gained in either practice, industry, public sector or private sector and specifically including:
(1) Experience of analysing and interpreting a range of financial records; and
(2) Experience of preparing or reviewing financial statements; and
(3) Experience of considering the appropriate accounting treatment of a variety of specific transactions; and
(4) Experience in communicating orally and in writing with a variety of audiences.
Part qualified accountants are not eligible for these posts.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.