Tax and Accounting Product Compliance Manager (AU/NZ Product)
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Role
As Regulatory Risk and Compliance Manager you will directly contribute to Xero's vision of being the most insightful and trusted small business platform. You will support our customers and team, ensuring that the products Xero builds comply with local government regulations. You will build and own the regulatory risk map for AU&NZ region, highlighting where regulatory change will impact areas of our platform and the opportunities this change offers Xero and small business. You will work to build deep relationships with the appropriate regulatory and professional bodies.
About the Team
You will work collaboratively as part of local and global teams. At a local level, you will connect with Product, Technology, GTM, Legal and other groups. You will be part of a global team that each manage regulatory risk and compliance for their respective markets and collaborate on shared projects.
What you’ll do…
- Serve as subject matter expert in AU&NZ accounting and bookkeeping. Researching, analyzing, defining and executing the operating model and risk frameworks against current and proposed legislation in region
- Review future product features and functionality, providing input during the planning phase, to ensure they align with current and proposed legislation and regulatory requirements
- Work with product teams to help them understand relevant requirements and translate these into accurate technical specifications
- Build relationships with government agencies and professional bodies (in particular tax authorities and those driving compliance requirements in product) to represent Xero
- Participate in technical working groups, ensuring we build strong communication channels to support implementation and collaboration opportunities around future changes in regulatory requirements
- Be an active member of the internal community of regulatory and product subject matter experts
- Support M&A teams on awareness of regulatory requirements
What you’ll bring…
- A degree or higher in Accounting, Commerce, Law, Taxation, Finance or similar
- A current qualified accountant or bookkeeper with designation from a professional body
- Extensive experience (6+ years) in public practice with a focus on taxation, compliance or business services with working knowledge of regional requirements around accounting and reporting obligations
- Excellent working knowledge of regional regulatory requirements that impact or drive data and returns flowing in/out of the tax authorities (broadly around income tax, sales tax, payroll and related cyber security and privacy requirements)
- Ability to write technical advice and conducting risk assessments, and translate technical regulatory detail into natural english
- Experience building strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including senior leadership, external customers and technical peers
- Experience building product roadmaps is desirable but not essential
This is a permanent role ideally based in our office in Melbourne. Xero is a global business, so while your focus is in-region, it will be necessary for you to regularly work with teams who are globally dispersed and may result in meetings and collaboration with colleagues in other timezones (and outside the “standard business hours” of your region), so we also offer flexibility to working from home.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
For more information, and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.