Non-Executive Director/Trustee at Lingfield Education Trust
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in County Durham? Lingfield Education Trust seeks three non-executives/directors to join its board. Board meetings are held at DL3 6AR when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The trust has seven Primary schools across Darlington, Middlesbrough and North Yorkshire with 1850 pupils on roll. The Trust is high performing and achieves well above the national average at Key Stage 2 Reading, Writing and Maths Combined and at the present time has four schools assessed as ‘Good’ by Ofsted, two are assessed as ‘Requires Improvement’ and a further school has no current Ofsted grade rating yet having only opened in September 2019.
As a whole, a little over a third of the trust’s children (35%) are eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) – a measure of deprivation.
Four of the trust’s schools have Resource Bases / SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Units and support children with Autism, Moderate Learning Needs and Speech & Language needs. The trust also hosts the Low Incidence Needs Team for Darlington (Hearing & Visual Impairments).
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- Business/Finance development
- Marketing and PR
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Growth – expansion of the trust as a whole, with the potential to sponsor new projects;
- Sustainability - building sustainability further by developing a hub of schools in Tees Valley;
- Collaboration - working with other academy trusts in the North East.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/lingfield-education-trust
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.