Manager I, Audit Services
Founded in Chicago in 1889, Northern Trust is one of the world’s leading financial institutions. We specialize in providing asset servicing solutions and asset management to both institutional and personal clients. The delivery of products and services to this client base is supported through a network of offices around the globe.
The Manager 1 role is a key senior position within the global Audit Services organization, responsible for providing direct oversight and leadership to the audit team in Manila and fostering an environment where growth and opportunity for career advancement is present. This professional will lead a growing group of auditors, who are responsible for the execution of a global portfolio of audit engagements in the areas of Corporate and Institutional Services (C&IS) business portfolio across the globe. This role requires the ability to read and comprehend complex global regulations and apply those learnings to assess Northern Trust’s businesses. In addition, a good understanding of the Asset Servicing operating model is an advantage.
The Manager 1 will take direction from the audit teams located across the global regions which supports the C&IS International business portfolio. The successful candidate will guide the local team in Manila to attain favourable audit outcomes (i.e. workpaper quality, thoroughness, accuracy, and timeliness). This position will report locally to the Audit Manager II in Manila and functionally to the C&IS Audit Manager II in London.
- Demonstrating asset and fund servicing knowledge (e.g. custody services, fund administration or capital markets) typically gained in a financial services audit environment, through the following:
- Providing subject matter and technical expertise to the Audit Team
- Staying current on regulatory rules and changes within the asset servicing industry and how these impact the audit planning activities
- Interacts and partners with the Business Partners and Audit Managers locally and globally to understand the risks within the business, business changes and other significant events that could significantly affect the business and/or the audit plan
- Improves risk management, control, and governance effectiveness through systematic, disciplined audit evaluations
- Provide strategic thinking, thought leadership, and guidance on identifying key risks and assessing the design and operating effectiveness of the controls supporting finance, treasury management, risk management, compliance, and corporate planning;
- Ensure that any apportionment of responsibilities within the team is effective and appropriate
- Encourage an environment of employee participation, teamwork, and open communication;
- Provides training, coaching, and auditing expertise to the audit team;
- Mentors and guides their team members in conceptualizing and achieving their career development goals
- Accountable for own assignments and holding others accountable for theirs. Delivering when you say you will, and proactively managing expectations
- Work with management to develop an audit strategy for the engagement;
- Ensure that deliverables are issued accurately, completely, and timely to stakeholders
- Provide guidance on testing of the governance structure and internal controls and testing key controls within these processes, specifically reliability and quality of data sources, reconciliations, and substantiation;
- Leads and oversees larger, more complex, and/or global reviews;
- Demonstrates an understanding of the business risks, controls, and processes, along with an understanding of relevant laws, regulatory rules and knowledge of the impact of systems within areas reviewed;
- Apply analytical skills, discussions with the Business and Audit Partners and the risk assessment process to properly identify key risks and controls, audit scope, and testing approach within an audit or other project;
- Accurately designs the testing approach and ensures, through first-level reviews, that work paper documentation is clear, concise, supports the reviews performed, and explains decisions made during the project;
- Communicates with senior level management, including leading efforts to discuss the business/risk environment and issues/risks raised during the review, along with providing periodic updates, to the status of the project;
- Lead walkthroughs and planning meetings with key stakeholders at all levels;
- Asking challenging questions to understand;
- Demonstrate professional scepticism and comfort with questioning how certain processes are being performed in order to facilitate making improvements;
- Lead other audit team members in their responsibilities to ensure quality of work and compliance with internal audit standards;
- Draft issues clearly and concisely and communicate potential issues to the business;
- Assist in preparing the Draft Audit Report;
- Lead status meetings and discussions of initial audit findings with stakeholders;
- Monitor audit team members’ time, and escalates significant budget variances/delays;
- Fosters a high performing Manila Audit Services team culture by encouraging employee participation, teamwork and communication
- Develop the Manila Audit Services teams’ capability to articulate core audit objectives, risks and procedures.
- Oversees the professional development and performance management processes by identifying training and development needs, and providing effective feedback.
- Conducts the annual performance management process for direct reports, in consultation with the functional manager to agree ratings.
- Sets the local context and culture for the team in sync with the overall department tone.
- Celebrates individual partner and team achievements, recognizing valued contributions.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance is required
- CA or CPA certification is preferred
- 10- 12+ years of experience in auditing and/or systems experience in a financial institution or similar public accounting experience in the financial services industry is required
- Knowledge of auditing in the financial services industry preferred
- 2-3+ years of experience in handling or managing people
- Strong work paper documentation skills
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate
- Able to lead and motivate teams of varying skill and knowledge levels
- Strong analytical, leadership and organizational skills are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly numerate with strong organisational and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Ability to proactively assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve
- Ability to react and respond on a timely basis
- Ability to adapt and react positively in a changing and dynamic work environment
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse groups and various levels of financial and operating personnel
- Able to identify key priorities and goals, and establish executable work plans
- Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, good business judgment skills are required to meet strict deadlines and manage other projects
- Proficiency in Word and Excel a plus
- Must be a team player and able to work under pressure during peak periods
- An ability to work in a fast paced environment as part of a Global Audit team across multiple time zones and jurisdictions.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.