Commercial / Modelling Analyst
This Commercial / Modelling Analyst roles revolves around the identification of long-term property investment opportunities and then following through to the completion of the physical development and its occupation under long term lease to an appropriate party(s).
Based in the heart of London, my client is an exciting real estate firm with a portfolio of over $450M made up of super-prime London real estate. They are expanding at such a rapid rate that they now need a Commercial Analyst to assist with building models on new opportunities.
Key responsibilities for this Commercial / Modelling Analyst role include:
- Identifying a market need
- Identifying an appropriate site
Working up a proposal incorporating all the relevant variables which can / may include:
Cost of site,
- Applicability of site to perceived opportunity,
- Cost of building including all ancillary aspects - builder, professional team, availability of suitable finance and the terms applicable thereto,
- Market demand and likely lease terms we will be able to achieve,
- Likely response of responsible planning authorities,
- Likely project time-line,
- Margin on project over cost when complete and long-term cash throw off,
- Tax considerations inherent in the project,
- Impact on individual shareholders position both "now" and in the future.
In the event our analysis suggests the potential project is a goer, then we move to implementation stage. This includes:
- Negotiating with current owner of the site to acquire same - generally both sides will have advisers though from our perspective we are totally hands on and "the driver",
- Structuring the purchase and completing it,
- Proceeding with planning - this will invariably involve working with an adviser, and be quite a drawn out and iterative process - planning is more "art" than "science" and invariably there are many twists and turns involved before an acceptable approval is achieved.
- Choosing, assembling, and managing the project team - including the obvious parties such as builder, architect, various engineers, quantity surveyor, development manager, etc. but also many others - often 20+.
- Developing in conjunction with our lawyers the appropriate structure - so as to minimise risk, and maximise long term shareholder cashflow and value - and putting in place supporting finance - which is often multi-tiered,
- Managing the lease - up and sometimes sale - we do not often sell as long-term hold is the core business.
- Keeping very tight control of the physical development and all the associated aspects including obviously cashflow monitoring and reporting, timely collection of funds owing to us and timely payment of our payment obligations (always closely monitoring against budget).
- On completion: o Lease -up and occupation - again very close involvement with potential tenants, agents, lawyers etc.
- Managing and very closely monitoring the lease cashflows and building running costs particularly against budget,
Criteria for this Commercial / Modelling Analyst role:
- Excellent Excel, VBA and modelling skills,
- Significant commercial empathy and ideally an exposure to, interest in and an understanding of property and banking,
- Highly intelligent, numerate and motivated,
- Self-starter but able to operate as part of a small team
On offer to the successful Commercial / Modelling Analyst candidate.
- Competitive Salary
- Central London location