SENIOR FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT NON-PROFIT ACCOUNTING
Reporting to the Director, Non–Profit Accounting, the Senior Accountant is responsible for managing daily financial accounting and reporting activities of the BGSU Foundation Inc. and other non–profit entities related to the University*. This includes but is not limited to the development and implementation of relevant financial accounting processes and procedures. Responsibilities include general ledger accounting functions, preparation of monthly financial reports, interaction with University Budget Administrators and the external auditors, ad hoc financial reporting, month–end and year–end general ledger closing procedures, assisting with the preparation of IRS Form 990 and Form 990–T and the preparation of external reporting to other independent and governmental organizations.
*e.g. Non–profit development corporation, Centennial Falcon Properties, Inc.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide day–to–day support for the functions associated with general accounting for the BGSU Foundation Inc. and other non–profit entities related to the University as a member of the Controller's Office including: a) responsible for updating the general ledger on a daily basis; b) responsible for review of monthly investment activity and preparation of monthly entries to the general ledger; c) reconcile general ledger accounts, including but not limited to cash and investment accounts; d) perform monthly general ledger closing; e) monitor, review and approve operating budget expenditures for the Foundation.
- Under the direction of the Director, Non–Profit Accounting, responsible for: a) the preparation and review of monthly financial statements; b) assisting with preparation and review of IRS Form 990 and Form 990T; c) preparation and submission of various organizational reports and surveys; d) assist with preparation of annual distribution of investment earnings and calculation of spendable earnings related to all Foundation funds; e) preparation of year–end audit work papers and financial statements; f) responsible for compiling annual fund account reports to distribute to donors.
- Provide necessary fiscal assistance to Development department personnel and the campus community. As well as serving as a liaison to campus community to provide information, field questions and provide training related to the Foundation.
- Provide day–to–day oversight and ensure compliance related to new and established Foundation fund designations. Analyze all gifts received to determine appropriate fund designations and reconcile all donor fund activity to the general ledger.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Solid working knowledge of GAAP, FASB, and GASB principles as well as fund accounting and the basics of taxation;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High level of demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy;
- Self–starter and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong financial analysis skills;
- Ability to analyze and problem solve;
- Strong computer skills, specifically as it relates to Microsoft Office products;
- Working knowledge of complex financial ERP systems as well as the various business processes and procedures related to them
Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Accounting, Finance or related field. Successful candidate must have Bachelor's degree conferred at the time of application.
The following experience is required
- 3 – 4 years accounting or auditing experience.
Certified Public Accountant is preferred, but not required.
Full–time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 355. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
Deadline to apply: November 6, 2020
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit or contact the Office of Human Resources at . BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call .