Senior Analyst - REA
A Senior Analyst-REA is aligned to one of the Berkadia Mortgage Bankers (MB) and his/her team (together called as “MB Team”). The Senior Analyst works as a part of the MB Team to do the preliminary underwriting of U.S. Commercial Real Estate deals and is responsible for a range of tasks from pre-application stage to loan closing. The role holder must effectively analyze all the deal information, complete tasks, understand and explain the impact of each piece of information on the deal to the MB Team. They should be capable of preparing soft quotes/indications for the clients and give their recommendation. Working with the MB Team, the Senior Analyst is responsible for prioritizing and reprioritizing their work based on their external client's needs working to tight and often changing deadlines.
The role holder will be required to work interdependently with U.S colleagues (internal clients and external clients) to anticipate and fulfil their needs, objectives and challenges. He/She will also be expected to embrace and fully live Berkadia’s values and have a growth and agile customer centric mindset.
Major Accountabilities (duties may include but are not limited to):
• Be current with the US Real Estate market, and with Berkadia lending requirements as well as Lender Guides
• Have a deep understanding of various kinds of deals processed and participate in all deal discussion calls with the MB Team. Use the knowledge and insights gained from all documentation and the spreads to proactively update and provide recommendations to the MB Team
• Spread the financial data into the rent roll, operating statement, and do the sizing for Fannie, Freddie, and other lenders. Work on valuation and prepare exit strategy independently and with high accuracy. Prepare soft quotes options for the clients. Provide clients with the best recommendation and ensure client’s lender choice is secured
• Perform in-depth review of all borrower/sponsor/property related documents, and research and analyze all the market/sub-market and all third-party reports to write a full narrative including but not limited to property overview, location overview, borrower/sponsor overview, management company overview. Ensure that the full, accurate story of the loan is laid out in a comprehensive, insightful and easy to follow way highlighting every strength and weakness and risk and mitigant of a deal
• Review pertinent market information, including rent/sale comps, capitalization rates, market vacancy, trends and other data necessary to evaluate specific loan opportunities, including competitor information
• Diligently compare all the third-party reports and prepare third-party comparison chart along with the comments. Proactively keep the MB Team informed on any discrepancies in the third-party reports
• Word independently on all the tasks assigned by the MB Team
• Complete all necessary tasks proactively, always within deadlines, being insightful, accurate and consistent
• Proactively communicate with the MB Team on the work completed and items outstanding and necessary to move the deal forward
• Keep the local Manager informed about any challenges and provide suggestion to improve/streamline the process
• Share the findings and learning about a deal with the MB Team and provide recommendations
• Share learnings and best practices with the other REAP analysts
• Be a mentor to new Analyst-REA and ensure to provide complete coaching and guidance on technical as well as soft skills required in the role. Have regular mentor meetings and ensure they are progressing well on their learning curve
• Be agile and continually work on your professional development and proactively use all learning tools at your disposal; consistently updating your technical knowledge and skills and changing behaviors to improve performance and impact. This includes:
o Using historic deal repositories to learn
o Learning from your peers
o Asking questions – not assuming and not being afraid to admit errors or lack of knowledge
o Using LinkedIn learning to constantly build on your skills
• Plan and organize work to meet internal and external stakeholder demands
• Work with your local manager and colleagues in a positive, constructive, professional and open way being prepared to listen, accept and act on feedback
• Collaborate within the REA Team and constantly share best practices
• Understand key performance indicators and continuously work to exceed expectations
• Be accountable for the assigned deals and ensure the tasks assigned are processed within the quick turn- around-time
• Share the best practices with the MB analysts and provide trainings whenever required
• Have a positive and growth mindset
Qualifications Required (including education, experience and skills)
• A graduate with strong banking and or financial services experience is preferred.
• ACCA 9 paper complete or ACCA affiliate preferred
• Prior experience in working on US Real estate underwriting, asset management, spreading the financials etc.
• This is a truly analytical role. The ability to read and interpret documentation and to draw meaningful conclusions from multiple sets of information and distill it to actionable insights is crucial
• Must be highly proficient with excellent written and oral American English communications skills. This includes the ability to be clear and concise, when communicating with all stakeholders
• Highly IT literate with strong knowledge MS Office and, Microsoft Excel and Word skills
• A highly proactive approach and a client centric mindset are essential to succeed in this role as are strong time management skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrate an ability to manage multiple tasks and work well under pressure
Conditions of work:
• This position is a X Shift role; however, the role holder is expected to work whatever hours are necessary to fulfil the requirements of the role and to meet internal and external client requirements
• The role holder must also be prepared to work other shift times when requested to do so for training or other business requirements
• While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties from tasks and to assign other duties and projects as necessary
• Position may be requested to obtain passport and US travel visa and to travel to the US for additional training and development
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is an industry leading commercial real estate company providing comprehensive capital solutions and investment sales advisory and research services for multifamily and commercial properties. Berkadia is amongst the largest, highest rated and most respected primary, master and special servicers in the industry.
Berkadia is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or any other status protected under the law.
Our people are our greatest strength and make Berkadia a great place to work, creating an environment of trust, mutual respect, innovation and collaboration. Our culture is driven by our core values: https://www.berkadia.com/about/vision-and-values.
To find out more about Berkadia, please visit our website https://www.berkadia.com/aboutus/
Berkadia Services India Private Limited is a subsidiary of Berkadia, located at Hyderabad, India.