Finance and Business Development Manager
JOB TITLE | Finance and Business Development Manager
JOB REFERENCE |JD_FM_CAR_2020
LOCATION | London
REPORTING TO | Director of Finance
KEY RELATIONSHIPS | Support Officer; all CAR staff and directors; suppliers; customers; donors; banks; and auditors
SALARY | £55,000 - £65,000 relative to experience
CANDIDATE PROFILE | The right candidate is willing to take on the general roles required of anyone working in a small finance team, while at the same time championing CAR’s financial innovation and business development. As with all roles in CAR, the candidate will be offered a high degree of autonomy, the space to innovate and trial new ideas, and will be expected to ‘grow with the organisation’.
You must be a passionate, free-thinking, and professional team player: one who is willing to embrace a unique opportunity, face new challenges, and work in a very niche work environment.
CONFLICT ARMAMENT RESEARCH | CAR is the world’s only organisation to specialise exclusively in tracking supplies of weapons, ammunition, and related materiel into conflict-affected areas.
CAR deploys mobile field investigation teams alongside national defence and security forces to armed conflict areas from Mali in West Africa, to Afghanistan in Asia, and virtually everywhere in between. There they recover unique, traceable information from weapons, ammunition, and related materiel and use this information to investigate supplies flowing to terrorist and insurgent forces—providing governments and law enforcement bodies with the information required to combat future supplies.
CAR is a dynamic organisation, which places a premium on methodological and technological innovation. Since its creation in 2011, it has expanded operations to cover more than 30 conflict-affected states worldwide and employs nearly 40 full-time staff and contractors.
Although a private company, CAR straddles the for- and not-for profit sectors—providing services to long-term grant funders, such as the European Union, in addition to supplying critical data to governments and other entities on a commercial basis. This mixture of funding sources makes CAR resilient to fluctuations in donor demand; notably by providing it with core budgets and research and development funds that are not traditionally enjoyed by non-profit, grant-funded organisations. CAR has continuously diversified its funding sources, year-on-year, since 2011.
PURPOSE | To sit at the heart of the organisation and: 1) support the Director of Finance in sustaining and optimising CAR’s financial systems and processes; 2) work with CAR’s Field and Support Operations staff, to develop innovative business strategies; 3) ensure CAR’s administrative functions are subject to continuous refinement; and 4) support CAR project managers to ensure the effective and professional delivery of services.
KEY PERFORMANCE OUTCOMES | As a key member of CAR’s Compliance Division, the Finance and Business Development Manager will:
- Maintain CAR’s paper and electronic financial accounting systems (entering invoices, expenses, and journals in a timely and accurate manner; reconciling supplier, bank, and other control accounts regularly; matching purchase orders and goods received notes; and making payments to suppliers);
- Ensure project files are maintained in accordance with audit requirements and that project claims are submitted on a timely basis;
- Prepare management accounts and rolling 12-month forecasts on a monthly basis;
- Prepare annual budgets, reforecasts, budgets for proposals, and operational plans;
- Prepare the monthly payroll (including the appropriate deduction of staff benefits and the payment of deductions to appropriate authorities) and submit it to CAR’s external payroll bureau for processing;
- Collate and review all employee reimbursements, ensuring that they are in line with CAR’s expenses policies;
- Ensure that CAR’s assets are protected through maintaining CAR’s fixed asset register and ensuring the proper implementation, or enhancement, of financial policies and procedures;
- Work with the Director of Finance to explore and design financial aspects (pricing structures, subscription data, and cost models) of business development;
- Work with colleagues to design and trial innovative commercial products;
- Input substantially, and on a rolling basis, to the review and refinement of CAR’s financial and accounting systems;
- Oversee CAR’s procurement rules and processes;
- Play a crucial role in project design, management, and finance;
- With the Director of Finance, co-design and deliver a commercial strategy;
- Engage in donor relations and networking via outreach trips; and
- Sustain personal professional development and skills by committing at least five days of each year to professional development programmes.
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION |
- Minimum of 5 years’ finance experience;
- Experience of working in an organisation of similar size, £5m t/o, 20-45 staff;
- Experience working for both grant-funded organisations and for-profit companies; and
- Experience of having worked in a busy professional environment and of handling varied, and sometimes conflicting, work streams.
- Part-qualified ACCA, CIMA or other recognised professional accountancy qualification;
- A levels/degree; and
- Knowledge of international and institutional donors, especially EU, UK, and US donors.
- Good written and oral communication skills, in particular the ability to work with people at all levels and from a variety of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent Microsoft Office software skills;
- Accurate data input and reconciliation; and
- Well versed in the use of Xero or other major accounting software systems.
- A keen interest and awareness in geo-political and international security issues;
- The ability to show initiative and solve complex (often sensitive) problems, in high intensity environments;
- Be adaptable and able to quickly adjust priorities and ‘think on your feet’ in a busy and unpredictable work environment;
- Willingness to travel overseas;
- Effectively manage key individual tasks and responsibilities;
- Can be trusted to work remotely without constant direct oversight;
- Willingness to work on a variety of projects and initiatives;
- Able to work as part of a close-knit team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Approachable and helpful;
- Trustworthy and aware of confidentiality issues; and
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, diversity issues.
EMPLOYMENT TERMS |
Starting date: 1st February 2021.
Probation: Three months.
Duration: Fulltime permanent.
Holidays: 30 days per year (Jan to Dec) in addition to all statutory holidays in your country of residence.
Hours: The standard working week is 40 hours, but on some occasions, staff will be required to work longer days and through weekends.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSIVITY |
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. We are undergoing a process of change to ensure that we, as an organisation, are committed to creating an environment of mutual respect; one where equal employment opportunities are available to applicants and teammates of all backgrounds and protected characteristics.
At Conflict Armament Research we believe that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success as a global organisation. As such, we aim to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
APPLICATION PROCESS |
Please email your CV and cover letter detailing your suitability for the role to email@example.com. Please cite the reference number in the subject line.
Deadline: 23:59 GMT, 8th November, 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to conduct a panel interview in mid-November.
Starting date: 1 February 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Apply for Finance and Business Development Manager
Sorry, we are unable to take any personal information from users based in Russia due to local data processing laws. However, please continue to search and apply for other jobs.
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly