Senior IT Auditor
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
The Senior IT Auditor I, Information Technology (IT), is responsible for conducting and documenting audits throughout the Corporation. This role leads audit project teams, which includes providing oversight to the audit team and communicating results of the engagement to management.
The Senior IT Auditor I provides technical expertise and training to auditors within the engagement audit team and works closely with Audit Managers to confirm the scope of the audit and to devise an appropriate testing approach to be performed during the engagement.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
Leadership and Management
- Establishes and develop strong working relationships and open communication with key stakeholders
- Provides training, coaching, and auditing expertise to the audit team
- Accountable for own assignments and holding others accountable for theirs including proactively managing expectations
- Identify risk and controls within processes, and provide risk assessment
- Lead internal audit projects related to IT general controls, information security/cyber, pre/post system implementation, IT governance, and operational areas; drive consistency of methodology
- Assists with the development of the audit budget and/or timeframe for how the audit will be completed based on the objective and risk of the areas covered within the engagement
- Finalizes planning documents and conducts first level review of planning documents as required
- Coordinates with other audit teams (business unit, regional, and specialist) to ensure evaluations of related areas occur timely and cover key areas within the audit
- Demonstrates professional skepticism and comfort with questioning how certain processes are being performed in order to facilitate making improvements
- Applies analytical skills to review information, perform assessments of the audit results, and evaluate the adequacy of controls
- Reviews the work papers of the audit team members ensuring that departmental standards have been met
- Communicates the audit status to business unit stakeholders and Audit Services management
- Drafts findings and recommendations for the purpose of status updates, memos, and audit reports
- Maintain technical competence by ongoing training, seeking development opportunities and applying new knowledge to daily work assignments
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Knowledge of audit procedures and technical security and control standards usually obtained through related work experience and a four year degree program is required to perform system audits
- Solid understanding of Information Technology General Controls (ITGC) but also have knowledge of non-ITGCs (e.g., Configuration Management, Vendor Management)
- Understanding of Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) controls (e.g., Incident Management, Problem Management)
- Skills as needed to perform testing of design and operational effectiveness of application controls (e.g., Interface Controls)
- Skills as needed to perform testing of design and operational effectiveness of information security and cyber security controls (e.g., Security Awareness and Training, Third Party Due Diligence)
- Knowledge of the operations, functions, and objectives of interfacing areas is required to properly audit operations, services, systems, workflow, and operational impact on other areas
- Operates independently; has in-depth knowledge of business unit/function
- Knowledge of systems software applications and databases common to the mainframe and distributed environments, such as UNIX, iSeries, and Windows is a plus
- Understanding of networks, routers, and firewalls is also a plus
- Certified Information System Audit (CISA) certification is preferred. Additional certifications such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), or other related certifications is a plus
- Experience of IT auditing and systems experience
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate
- Strong leadership and organizational skills are required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly numerate with strong organizational and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Ability to proactively assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve
- Ability to react and respond on a timely basis
- Ability to adapt and react positively in a changing and dynamic work environment
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse groups and various levels of technology and non-technology personnel
- Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, good business judgment skills are required to meet strict deadlines and manage other projects
- Proficiency in Word and Excel a plus
- Must be a team player and able to work under pressure during peak periods
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
- Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
- Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
- Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.