Head of Finance Programmes Directorate
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) works in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to flourish. UKRI is principally funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Within UKRI, the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) provides access to world-leading, large-scale facilities through its National Laboratories and Campuses and supports university-based research, innovation and skills development in astronomy, particle physics, nuclear physics, and space science.
STFC's Programmes Directorate (PD) is responsible for implementing our science and technology strategy and managing our programme planning, peer review processes and science operations, as well as programmes in education, training and public outreach. It has an annual budget of over £400m, funding programme activities through grants to universities, allocations to projects in STFC’s National Laboratories and subscriptions to international research facilities such as CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) and ESO (the European Southern Observatory). It contributes significantly to supporting BEIS in their governance of major international collaborations through programme boards and oversight committees.
The Head of Finance - Programmes Directorate leads the Finance team supporting PD in relation to financial planning and management. As a member of UKRI’s Finance function, the post reports to the Head of Finance, STFC; she/he will engage closely with the PD management team with a functional reporting line to the Executive Director, PD.
- Provide strategic business partner support to the Executive Director and management team of PD, supporting long term decision making and ensuring sound financial management across the Directorate
- Act as the central Finance contact point for PD in relation to financial planning, budgets, forecasts and in-year financial management, maintaining an integrated overview of PD's finances in relation to both current activity and future plans and commitments with clear, regular reporting to PD and STFC management, ensuring that important issues and risks are identified and escalated where appropriate
- Work closely with Division Heads to ensure that all financial and procurement transactions are consistent with propriety, regularity, corporate governance and value for money criteria and in line with approved budgets
- Support cost-modelling and business case development for new projects and activities and work with Division Heads to manage the approval of new projects and funding applications as well as updating and re-profiling existing budgets when necessary, liaising with colleagues in UKRI Corporate Hub to promote positive outcomes for the Directorate
- Constructively challenge senior stakeholders to ensure the best financial outcomes and to manage risk at an appropriate level
Provide financial support to specific major projects and international collaborations within the PD portfolio and represent STFC/UKRI Finance on relevant project boards and oversight committees
- Provide strong leadership of the PD Finance team, currently comprising three business partners, with an emphasis on strong teamwork, staff development and continuous improvement
- Proactively work to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of financial management processes and resourcing in the context of best practice and STFC/UKRI policy and procedures, identifying and implementing any changes required to improve performance
- If the post is filled on a full-time basis, you would also be expected to lead a workstream in the Finance Transformation project or similar cross-cutting UKRI activity.