Cockcroft Institute Finance & Operations Manager
The Cockcroft Institute is a particle accelerator research institute and a voluntary partnership comprising the universities of Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester and Strathclyde as well as the Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC). This post will be based at our Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire; however, occasional travel to partner universities and other STFC sites will be required.
The STFC Financial Business Partnering Team has an opportunity available for a Cockcroft Institute (CI) Finance and Operations Manager. This post requires a proactive individual with financial expertise who is highly organised with strong analytical and communication skills.
The CI Finance and Operations Manager will be expected to develop a thorough understanding of all financial and operational aspects of Cockcroft Institute activities, maintaining excellent working relationships with the senior management team and other stakeholders. It is particularly important that the Institute’s business model is well understood as this will need to be communicated effectively across the wider CI community including managers and staff located at each of the partner universities as well as with UKRI & STFC Finance and operational teams. The post holder will need to coordinate Institute finances effectively, strengthen internal controls and financial analysis within the Finance team and seek opportunities for improvement, change and efficiency across all of her/his responsibilities.
As a Finance professional, the successful candidate will be expected to show particular leadership in demonstrating the application of the principles outlined in ‘Managing Public Money’ – the Government’s handbook for the financial management of publicly funded enterprises.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Develop, manage and maintain exceptional working partnerships with senior managers, Directors and stakeholders across the CI partner universities and STFC to support organisational objectives
- Lead the compilation of budgets and forecasts providing clear direction and guidance to both the CI senior management team and the Finance staff who support them.
- Prepare forecasts and ad-hoc reports using OBIEE and Hyperion Management tools as well as annual budgets, planning at Institute and cost centre levels with thorough documentation of underlying assumptions
- Advise on costing and pricing project proposals for externally-funded projects in accordance with Council and university policy as appropriate, and other financial aspects of project proposal preparation
- Assist in preparation of any financial reporting required by CI managers and funders and liaise with them in connection with reviews or ad hoc queries on financial issues
- Contribute to business and strategic planning including in year and forward planning.
- Lead, and contribute to, the continuous improvement of CI Risk Registers and Business Continuity Planning
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of CI safety policy and practices, including working proactively with the CI Safety - Officer and fulfilling the role of Building Fire Manager ensuring the associated responsibilities are fulfilled
- Responsible for effective and efficient accommodation planning, working with other stakeholders as appropriate
- Maintain and develop management information, for feeding back to the CI Board and in the completion of returns, information requests etc.
- Chair the CI Finance & Research Support Group, and participate in a number of other committees and forums, representing CI interests where appropriate and where required fulfil the role of CI Board secretary; producing accurate and well written documentation and minutes, liaising with senior partner representatives and maintaining high levels of confidentiality
- Work with other colleagues to coordinate, support and report on relevant matters, ensuring efficiency, consistency of approach, and sharing of best practice
- Responsible for the well-being and professional development of their team
- Be a strong advocate for positive change and continuous improvement both within Finance, UKRI and STFC and the Cockcroft Institute; to improve efficiency and effectiveness in everything we do.
- There will be the occasional requirement to travel to other STFC and University sites within the UK.