Fund Administration - Senior Tax Analyst
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
- Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for the preparation and/or review of tax provisions including determination and documentation of Funds’ compliance with the requirements of Subchapter M of the Internal Revenue Code. Duties include calculation and/or review of related tax disclosures required in fund shareholder reports. Senior Tax Accountant is also responsible for review of Funds’ income tax and excise tax returns and supporting work papers. Additional duties include assisting in the preparation of various compliance and/or management reports. Senior Tax Accountant will interface with the Funds’ independent auditors and their tax associates as well as other departments within Northern including but not limited to: portfolio managers, legal, those individuals responsible for setting fund dividends and the other Fund Administration groups.
- Training and oversight of Staff and Interns.
- Detailed review of tax schedules and reports prepared by the Staff and Interns.
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties are generally representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- Analyze Fund portfolios to identify issues arising from various investment strategies including: tax straddles, tax hedges, and written covered calls.
- Prepare and/or supervise preparation of income and excise tax return filings.
- Prepare and/or supervise preparation of tax provisions and footnote disclosure for approximately 100 regulated investment companies.
- Assist in ascertaining that each of the funds complies with the provisions of Subchapter M of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Support filing of Federal and State tax returns and extensions.
- Prepare certain management reports for the investment company portfolio managers.
- Participate in research and problem solving as issues arise.
- Assist in determining year-end income and capital gain distributions.
- Assist in reviewing data required to be disclosed on Form 1099 and other year end shareholder literature.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- 5 years of experience in the accounting/financial administration aspects of mutual funds.
- Knowledge of tax principles and policies applicable to mutual funds and securities in which they invest preferred.
- Compliance and technical tax research skills, including practical application of tax law/findings preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Adaptability and flexibility to work flow.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work additional hours during peak business periods.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must understand or quickly learn the tax issues associated with a broad range of investments which may include: municipal bonds, common stocks, preferred securities, convertible securities, REITS, corporate debt, passive foreign investment companies (PFICs), high yield debt, and various derivatives.
- Problem solver.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize competing priorities to meet deadlines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- NONE required
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.