Audit Apprentice - Technology Risk Assurance
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The work of our Audit teams is essential, not just to BDO, but to the whole economy. Working within a range of companies, from start-ups to FTSE350 companies, our Audit teams verify the accuracy of our clients’ financial statements for stakeholders, ensuring the stability and authenticity of the financial market. It’s not just analysing numbers though; Audit teams really get to know their clients. That means you’ll spend every day working as part of a team, often on clients’ premises, working with key individuals to understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and risks. The apprenticeship programme offers unparalleled exposure to a range of clients and the potential for international secondment.
We’ll help you succeed
The Audit Apprenticeship Programme is your opportunity to combine work experience with achieving your professional qualifications. We’ll provide the training in skills, behaviours and professional knowledge you’ll need not just to pass your exams, but also to become an exceptional BDO advisor. Our pass results are often up to 10% above the national average. This is a unique opportunity to qualify in a working environment with a network of exceptional colleagues who will be invested in helping you achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
When joining the Technology Risk Assurance (TRA) team you will be given the unique opportunity to choose your formal training pathway. Should you prefer the Business, Finance and Accounting pathway, we offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills, and opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 48 months.
Alternatively, we also offer our Technical Specialist pathway which provides direct training into emerging trends, application specific programs, or industry standard technologies. Regardless of your selected topic of specialisation in this pathway, all agreed options will provide you with dedicated time for professional development, will help shape your unique careers as a specialist IT auditor, and allow you to apply these bespoke skills first hand into many of the large businesses we work with. The duration of this programme is 48 months, including the requirement that all trainees within TRA must still pass the Accounting and Assurance modules of the ICAEW within the first 6 months.
All trainees, except for those who will specialise within data, whether as a direct requirement of their pathway, or those who have recently successfully completed their pathway, with also be offered the opportunity to study towards the Certified Information System Auditor (CISA) qualification, through the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA).
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
- Use your insights and knowledge to help BDO develop new solutions and initiatives that reflect the changing pace of technology and the technologies of the future
- Become a subject matter expert in established and emerging risk areas such as Enterprise Solutions, Cyber Security, Data Protection, IT resilience, Project Assurance, and Information Security; being sought out and deployed on engagements on the basis of that subject matter expertise
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles of technology risk, the context of risk allowing you to work with clients to identify and mitigate these risks
- Understand and document client systems environments relevant to the audited financial statements
- Identify and evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of client controls for managing risks around information security, change management, computer operations, and system design and development
- Provide advice to clients on how to improve their control environments, reduce risk and optimise operating efficiency
- Develop an understanding of tools and methodologies for analysing large volumes of data; working with clients to use data analytics for providing key insights to their business; supporting firm-wide initiatives for the use of data analytics in enhancing our own methodologies and frameworks
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.