Advisory Graduate - Forensics
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Our Advisory team provide a wide variety of services that deliver value-led advice and outcomes. Whether it’s buying a new business, expanding internationally or struggling with financial difficulties, our team provide support and solutions that help businesses overcome challenges. The team work across strategy, operations and improvement as well as at a transactional and defined project level. From technology to risk advisory, you’ll be exposed to some of the world's most exciting financial operations and business deals, building your experience and expertise alongside the brightest minds in the industry.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Advisory Graduate Programme is your opportunity to learn our sector inside out, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification as a Level 7 apprenticeship programme, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills. It opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
In Forensic Accounting you will need to be a good problem solver and have excellent analytical skills. Accuracy and attention to detail are paramount in the work we do, as is the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and through written work. Much of our work is team based; so good team working skills are essential.
You could be part of a team working on any of the following types of assignments, in the UK or overseas:
- providing expert accountancy services to companies involved in disputes
- reviewing professional negligence claims made against other large audit firms
- performing regulatory investigations for government departments and agencies
- quantifying losses arising from contractual disputes
- conducting fraud investigations for both private and public entities
- acting as an independent accountant engaged to provide a determination on disputed issues between two companies or bodies
As well as enjoying a wide variety of work and regularly facing new challenges, all of our graduates are seconded to our Audit and Assurance department for up to six months each year.
- Analysing large amounts of financial data and summarising the results for use in cases
- Undertaking company and industry research and analysing the results
- Performing electronic data reviews in order to identify key documents relevant to a case
- Helping to create and / or review Excel models designed to quantify losses suffered by a company as a result of, for example, breach of contract
- Helping to prepare written reports suitable for use in Court or arbitration proceedings and/or to support our findings from fraud, corporate or regulatory investigations
- Building strong working relationships with the lawyers we work with on each assignment, and within the team
- Undertaking a 5-6 month secondment in the audit stream during each year of your training
- Assisting with the client take on process and client engagement, and maintaining client files
- As you progress, assisting in overseeing and developing more junior team members
- Participating in group, stream and firm wide activities
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.