Audit Graduate - Public Sector Audit
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
BDO is committed to providing up-to-date advice for public sector clients as they navigate uncertain times and new challenges. Our Public Sector team focuses on providing external audit, internal audit and consulting services to Local Authorities, NHS Trusts, Foundation Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), NAO/ UN (National Audit Office/ United Nations) and all areas of central government.
Our Partners have a long track record of working with public sector clients and leading sector associations (e.g. LGA, HFMA, NHS Providers) and regularly provide media comment on issues affecting the public sector (e.g. Local Government Chronicle, Health Service Journal). We have strong relationships with complementary public sector service providers and our engagements regularly take a holistic approach to ensuring our clients’ needs are fulfilled. That means you’ll spend every day working as part of a team, often on clients’ premises, working with key individuals to understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and risks.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Audit Graduate Programme is your opportunity to learn our sector inside out, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
BDO offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification as a Level 7 apprenticeship programme, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills. It opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
Upon joining Public Sector Assurance you will become part of a dynamic and knowledgeable team who are experts in their field. You will be working with a range of Local Authorities, NHS Trusts, Foundation Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and parts of central government, including the police and fire services. These vary in size, from £50 million to £2.2 billion gross expenditure per annum, and in their technical complexity.
The Public Sector Assurance team works across 3 offices based in London, Ipswich and Norwich. However due to the location of our client base, you will regularly travel to the following locations: Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, London, Sussex and Surrey, South West and Hampshire, Essex.
Therefore this position would particularly suit those who live in the Essex area with access to a car.
Travel to client is currently limited due to the current public health climate.
- You will assist within the wider team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
- Prepare analysis of accounting data from client’s books and records
- Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; review appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and conclusions
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
- Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Manager
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Identify and understand client needs, including providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to your Senior or Manager
- Build strong relationships with new and established clients
- Carry out ad hoc assignments as reasonably required by your group
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group
- Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office
- Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- 9 to 4 in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- Access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- Life assurance cover;
- And income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.