We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. They service our clients around the world with everything from day-to-day compliance with tax authorities to advice on international tax to transaction support on mergers and acquisitions. That diversity of work requires a diversity of talents. Tax attracts specialists for the most technically complex challenges, versatile thinkers for large clients with varied problems and brilliant innovators who create tomorrow’s bespoke solutions. The graduate programme starts you off in compliance, immediately taking on important responsibilities including preparing corporate tax returns. You’ll take on more and more challenging work as you develop and will be able to specialise in a specific tax area or an audit group to really explore where your talents are most suited.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Tax Graduate Programme is your opportunity to learn our sector inside out, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the Tax Pathway qualification on the Level 7 apprenticeship programme. In a dynamic, fast-moving industry, the demand for highly-qualified tax professionals has never been greater. The Tax Pathway provides a streamlined and efficient route to becoming a tax professional. The Tax Pathway enables you to achieve membership of both the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicians) and the CIOT (Chartered Institute of Taxation). The duration of this programme is 36 months.
You will work with other members of the Tax team in order to support clients in achieving their goals. This is realised through assisting with day-to-day tax compliance and through specific tax advice.
Tax compliance is an important service provided to clients to ensure that they are meeting their statutory obligations. In your role you will prepare tax returns, this will give you an insight into the client’s business and assist in developing your tax knowledge.
Further to tax compliance, you will be involved in advising clients in a wide variety of tax matters. It is important that you have a high level understand of the array of different taxes in order to flag potential risks or opportunities to clients. Therefore, you will be part of our rotation program during the first three years of your career. The rotation program allows you to work in various different parts of our tax team specialising in different taxes for a number of months a year. This will ensure you gain a wider understanding of tax as a whole and the services we can offer to our clients.
- Assist the Trainees, Tax Associates and Managers as part of a wider team to service their client, prepare client tax computations and returns supervised by the Senior Tax Associates and Manager
- Ensure clients’ files have all relevant documentation and are checked thoroughly on a regular basis
- Carry out ad hoc assignments which is required by the line manager
- Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the Senior Tax Associate and Manager
- Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager
- Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
- Ensure professional standards is maintained
- Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings
- Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
- Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and their internal management to ensure that their needs are met
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
- Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their Manager
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.