Tax Graduate - Corporate, and Mergers & Acquisitions Tax
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working hard and working together, our Tax team thrives on keeping busy. They service our clients around the world with everything from day-to-day compliance with tax authorities to advice on international tax to transaction support on mergers and acquisitions. That diversity of work requires a diversity of talents. Tax attracts specialists for the most technically complex challenges, versatile thinkers for large clients with varied problems and brilliant innovators who create tomorrow’s bespoke solutions. The graduate programme starts you off in compliance, immediately taking on important responsibilities including preparing corporate tax returns. You’ll take on more and more challenging work as you develop and will be able to specialise in a specific tax area or an audit group to really explore where your talents are most suited.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Tax Graduate Programme is your opportunity to learn our sector inside out, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO advisor and achieve your full potential.
Programme & Qualification
BDO offer the ACA CTA Joint Programme enabling you to become Associate Chartered Accountants (ACA) and Chartered Tax Advisors (CTA) . You will gain two qualification from two institutes under a Level 7 apprenticeship. The ACA CTA Joint Programme gives you the opportunity to specialise in one of two areas – taxation of major corporates or owner-managed businesses. The programme offers a fast-track route to become a specialist in tax. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
You will be part of the CMA Tax team, working with more senior staff to ensure that all client needs are met. You will be self-motivated, able to work to tight deadlines, have excellent interpersonal skills together with an ability and interest in understanding their clients’ business.
At first, you will largely be dealing with compliance issues – providing figures for statutory accounts and preparing corporation tax returns. As you progress, you will be tackling more complex projects, advising senior staff at our clients on tax pitfalls and opportunities, dealing with HMRC and getting to grips with complex tax advisory projects. Our work also includes providing transaction support to our corporate finance team, which includes tax due diligence and advising on the tax implications of a sale, disposal or refinancing etc.
- Assist the Seniors and Managers as part of a wider team to service their clients
- Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the senior and manager
- Prepare client tax returns and computations required by the Senior and Manager
- Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager
- Ensure client documents are appropriately filed
- Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
- Carry out ad hoc requirements as may be reasonably required by more senior staff
- Ensure professional standards are met
- Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings
- Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
- Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and their internal management to ensure that their needs are fully met
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
- Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their manager
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
When you join us
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
- A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
- Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
- A* to C in Maths and English at GCSE/Scottish Standards or equivalent (non-UK qualifications also considered)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 25 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.