Finance Management Accounting Industrial Placement (12 months)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate Industrial Placement Students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
The STFC Finance Directorate seeks to recruit 2 Sandwich Students based at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) Oxfordshire. The students will rotate around different functional areas of Finance to provide an all-round experience within a Finance Department and will also visit other UK based STFC sites. These appointments will be for 12 months in duration.
In previous years’ students have supported Audits at our UK Liaison office in CERN Geneva, at one of our Joint Venture organisations ILL in Grenoble France and on cross Research Council internal audits (working with the Government Internal Audit Agency - GIAA). Such opportunities vary from year to year and depend on the interests and capabilities of the students.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
Strategic Planning & Financial Management
- Assist with Strategic Planning and reporting
- Cost centre and project budget setup
- Project maintenance, monitoring of income and expenditure and forecasting
- Creation of project reports
- Revenue analysis
- Research Council, Service Level Agreement (SLA) management and grant administration
- European Commission Project time sheets.
2. Financial Accounting
- Creation and posting of Project and General Ledger Journals
- Creation of Sales Invoices
- Processing of travel claims
- Account code reconciliation
3. Asset Management and Recording
- Carry out physical verification of assets,
- Review capital project expenditure for non-capital costs,
- Reconcile the Oracle Project Accounting module entries on capital projects with Oracle General Ledger entries
- Asset Tag and record new Capital Equipment
4. Governance & Audit
- Support to the Governance team on the internal audit programme
5. Administrative support
- Any other activities suitable for the role and experience.
Following training the student is expected to be self-motivated, following policy, meeting deadlines and to work diligently through the workload assigned to them.
Apply for Finance Management Accounting Industrial Placement (12 months)
Sorry, we are unable to take any personal information from users based in Russia due to local data processing laws. However, please continue to search and apply for other jobs.
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly