Tax Senior Manager
The best of both worlds...opportunities in the Channel Islands
Have you ever wondered whether it would be possible to work on the cream of the firm's global clients but live in paradise? To advise on intricate cross border planning, then cycle home to a picnic supper on the beach? Get international experience but enjoy the benefits of training and support from the UK firm, just an hour's flight from London? Work in a small team but be part of the largest firm in your territory? The answer might be closer than you think...
Our Channel Islands tax team is looking for talented individuals with a broad base of business and tax skills who are looking for a change and the chance to experience Island life.
The PwC Channel Islands tax team currently consists of 27 people including one partner, three directors and twenty-three members of staff. The business is growing and has a strong track record in supporting the development of our people. We provide local and international tax compliance and advisory services to a wide range of clients including:
- Local and international retail and private banks, fund managers and a cross section of some of the global firm's largest and most important client relationships.
- Intermediaries - law firms and trust administrators.
- Non financial services businesses, in sectors such as software, logistics, retail, hospitality and property.
- Private clients including HNWIs who have relocated to take advantage of the generous tax regime.
Both Islands are going through fundamental changes to their tax systems, which have otherwise been largely unchanged for 40 years. Tax reform provides exciting opportunities for our people and for our clients.
We are closely involved in the shaping of the future tax systems of Jersey and Guernsey and are also looking ahead to help clients adapt and plan for the new environment.
Jersey and Guernsey are self governing islands about 15 miles off the coast of France, with populations of 104,000 and 63,000 respectively. The Islands have modern economies dominated by the success of the finance industry, with bank deposits of £206bn and funds under management of £256bn. Jersey and Guernsey are UK Crown Dependencies and thus enjoy a special constitutional relationship with the UK.
In additional to professional opportunities the Islands also offer:
- A southerly location and temperate climate offering more warmth and sunshine than the rest of the British Isles.
- A rural environment consisting of fields, woodland, cliffs, headland, small country lanes and miles of golden beach.
- Benign local income tax systems, with low personal tax rates (max 20%), generous allowances and no capital gains tax or wealth tax.
- High standards of state health provision with a reciprocal agreement with the UK.
- Low crime rates.
- High standards of state-provided education on a UK model
Housing licences are generally available for qualified staff, ensuring access to the housing market for periods of up to 5-8 years.
- Managing a varied portfolio of clients (including a broad spectrum of Financial Services clients), including both the tax compliance and coordinating the tax advice, both local and international.
- Expanding business networks both internally and externally and developing new business opportunities.
- Working closely with directors and partners across the firm’s departments.
- As a part of the Senior Management team you will be responsible for the development and management of junior staff, including delegation of work as appropriate, monitoring and coaching of junior staff.
- You may also take on other roles which contribute to the efficient running of the team, e.g. financial management.
- Qualified ACCA/ ACA/ CTA or equivalent, with Tax experience preferably in practice, currently working at Senior Manager level
- Experience of UK Corporation Tax, or other similar Commonwealth Jurisdictions, with knowledge of international tax principles (for example transfer pricing). Guernsey tax experience is desirable but not essential.
- Experience working with Financial Services and/or Real Estate clients is desirable but not essential
- Experience in tax compliance and advisory work including report writing
- Experience with managing junior staff and developing individuals
If you have experience of the above and are a qualified ACA, ACCA or CTA (or equivalent) we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for someone who has the flexibility to cope with a relocation and adapting to a new jurisdiction. You should therefore be commercial and driven to provide excellent client services as well as building relationships both internally and externally.
Financial Services experience is desirable but not essential.