Senior Tax Analyst, Fund Services Tax
Who we are looking for
A dedicated team player, the person would be responsible for the administration of tax to Canadian State Street clients. Focusing on tax accounting, reporting, compliance, tax research and writing, the candidate would within the team build positive client relations and identify and help in resolving a variety of tax issues.
This is a 12 month contract role.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS’ tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As a Senior Tax Analyst, you will:
- Calculate funds deferred losses and updates carry forward schedule (for year-end distributions)
- Process the Deferred Loss schedules for the next distribution period (quarterly)
- Reconcile the stop loss and deferred loss schedules for ACB adjustments
- Update distribution templates with accounting to tax adjustments information
- Ensure that income is properly allocated between income types and Return of Capital
- Update Comparative Distribution rates templates Semiannual and annual
- Compare distribution to previous distribution for reasonableness
- Calculate and reviews distributions (monthly, quarterly and year-end)
- Update and monitors income trust (IT) distribution allocation and tax treatment. (MONTHLY)
- Verify income allocation factors with information released by the issuer
- Update the redemption templates monthly for income and capital gain allocation to redeeming unit holders
- Participate in dividend accruals process for each funds holding REIT, LLP and US Trust
- LP products – involvement in gathering tax information from companies held in the portfolio, coordinate/liaise with Financial Reporting Analyst in computation of partnership income, communication of tax slip information to brokers and via CDS website
- Assist in preparing various tax slip filings with CRA (e.g. T3s, T5008, etc.)
- Provide recommendations for improving tax reporting process, and assist in their implementation
- Assist in preparing year end and mid-term audit requirements
- Ad hoc projects/analyses as assigned by the Manager
- Take initiative to learn IFRS developments
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Excellent communication skills that allows effective communication within the team and with the client
- Strong sense of ownership and collaborative spirit
- Strong research skills and a developed sense of resourcefulness
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- A professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA with TX2)
- A strong accounting and tax background with minimum 3-5 year of experience in the public practice or financial service industry
- Working towards In-Depth income tax course from CPA Canada
- Knowledge of HST tax return filing an added advantage
- Additional experience related to exposure to complex tax issues surrounding the mutual fund industry
- Advanced computer skills (including Word, Excel and Taxprep and Formulatrix)
- Ability to research online with CCH tools
- Sound knowledge of reorganization provisions of the Income Tax Act
Must be able to put in significant overtime around reporting deadlines
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.