Finance Technical Coordinator (Global Accounting Policy and Research)
About Northern Trust
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
This position will be part of the Global Accounting Policy and Research team and be primarily involved in providing technical accounting support – performing and reviewing research and following-up with hands-on assistance in the application and implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and U.S. generally accepted accounting principles. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing deliverables for technical accounting areas acting as a subject matter expert. He/she will determine resolutions for relevant issues and communicate those resolutions to Management. He/she will be using research findings to ensure the Corporation is meeting all necessary compliance requirements in the assigned technical accounting areas. This position will report to the Team Lead of Global Financial Control (SOX and Accounting Policy and Research) in Manila but will also be functionally reporting to the head of the Global Accounting Policy and Research team in Chicago.
- Evaluate changes or proposed changes in new accounting pronouncements and regulations with potential relevance to the Corporation's financial reporting or accounting systems and working closely with finance and business unit personnel on implementation efforts.
- Research and respond to inquiries from business units and provide guidance regarding the accounting for new or complex transactions.
- Act as a contact for various internal and external partners, including business unit partners, internal auditors, external auditors, and regulators as needed.
- Oversee the establishment or updating of financial and accounting policies of the Corporation (Corporate Controller’s Manual) and/or individual legal entities and assist the business units in the application and adherence to established policies.
- Assist in the quarterly and annual preparation of certain disclosures for the Corporation’s external reporting via the 10Q/10K.
- Assist with quarterly and annual deliverables that are required under the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Act of 2002.
- Perform special analyses and participate in projects as required and prepare reports of detailed findings for management review.
Experience / skills
- Be a self-starter with the desire to work in a high profile position, have the ability to perform work that requires critical thinking and attention to detail, and possess strong analytical and verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple requests, and a proactive, hands-on approach to problem solving.
- The professional will have a basic level of familiarity with US GAAP and IFRS, but it would be preferred that the individual possess an expertise in one or more areas of U.S. GAAP technical accounting, such as loan accounting, investment accounting, lease accounting, pensions, acquisitions, fair value measurement, share based compensation, taxes, IFRS, etc.
- Familiarity with tracking U.S. GAAP vs IFRS vs other local GAAP differences
- Ability to identify relevant issues and perform research surrounding the assigned area of accounting and disclosure, as well as identify and communicate resolutions.
Education / Certifications
- CPA with 3 or more years of financial accounting experience required.
- Experience in both a “Big 4” CPA firm and industry preferred.
- Excellent US GAAP and IFRS technical accounting knowledge/expertise.
- 5AM to 2PM
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.