Manager I, Audit Services -- Asset Management
If you are curious, motivated, and forward-thinking, become a part of a global team of 140+ audit professionals - based in Chicago - working with team members and business partners in: Tempe, Toronto, Jersey City, Limerick, Dublin, London, Luxembourg, Pune, Bangalore, Singapore, Manila, and Melbourne. Audit Services provides the opportunity for financial services professionals to work on some of the most challenging issues in the industry to apply knowledge, insights, and objectivity to protect and strengthen Northern Trust’s legacy. Our talented people empower us, and we believe in building a team that is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and passionate.
We’ll help you make an impact with our onboarding, training and coaching, and you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your experiences and skills while performing continuous monitoring, refreshing risk assessments, developing audit approaches, creating forecasts, coordinating staffing and leading a portfolio of core audit projects supporting Northern Trust Asset Management. In addition to the core audit projects, you will also work with our team of global professionals in coordinating and executing targeting testing across a broad range shared service activities. Working across all organizational levels, this Manager role is responsible for developing and maintaining high-trust relationships and managing a team to produce a work product that adheres to the Institute of Internal Auditors International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and Audit Services’ methodology.
- Support oversight, execution and evolution of the core audit plan supporting Northern Trust Asset Management, including delivery of thought leadership and guidance on trends and emerging risks
- Encourage an environment of teamwork, accountability, and open communication
- Manage and support direct report performance management and career development
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of business processes, risks, and controls, along with an understanding of relevant laws, industry changes, and the impact of technology
- Communicate point of view to executives for discussion and challenge
- Identify and analyze risks, plan and prioritize audit projects for on-time delivery, conduct interviews, observe operations, document and analyze processes and controls, document the reliability and quality of data sources, develop and perform audit tests, document work papers, produce quality issues, review issues with management, evaluate the sustainability and repeatability of management actions, and draft audit reports
- Monitor budgets, team members, and escalate concerns
- Prepare materials for presentation to legal entity Boards of Directors and Audit Committees
- Identify, promote, and innovate audit best practices across the department methodologies, use of the work paper tool, application of fraud evaluation and data analytics techniques
- Develop expertise and expand knowledge of the audit profession and build business acumen through self-study, research, and continuing education to assist in providing comprehensive, in-depth assurance, advice, and coaching, across Audit Services and Northern Trust
- Bachelor's degree from accredited institution
- Professional credentials such as: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years professional experience
- Internal audit or regulatory examiner experience with a global financial institution - preferably focused on asset management - and a demonstrated ability to guide, supervise, and coach a team through projects around topics such as: economics, investment strategy and research, product management, investment administration, portfolio management and trading, alternative investments, derivatives, money market funds, mutual funds, collective investment funds, unit investment trusts, exchange traded funds, hedge funds, private equity funds, separately managed accounts, undertakings for the collective investment in transferable securities, marketing and sales practices, trade and transaction reporting, performance reporting, compliance practices, accounting practices, Investment Advisers Act, Investment Company Act, Markets in Financial Instruments Directive, Global Investment Performance Standards
- Advanced communication skills to enable: 1) discussion of the business and risk with partners of all levels, 2) delivery of issues/having tough conversations, 3) effective use of forms of communication (i.e. instant message, email, phone call, or meeting), and 4) effective report writing
- Proficient understanding of control frameworks such as: COSO Internal Control Integrated Framework and COBIT Information and Related Technology Framework, as well as project management and change methodologies
- Ability to maintain composure and build relationships across multiple time zones in a fast paced environment
- Ability to perform ad hoc projects with flexibility and professional creativity
- Ability to diagnose problems, determine root causes, and identify solutions
- Ability to travel if required, including outside of the United States
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.