Portfolio Finance Manager
flinder is a multiple award-winning accounting, consulting and data analytics business that is transforming the role of the finance function for fast-growth businesses. We see things differently, and we’re recognised in the profession for being one of the most innovative accounting firms in the country and best independent firm in Greater London. We’re a Thought Leader in the future of accounting, the finance function, data analytics in finance and the CFO around use of data, technology and delivering insight. Our objective is to help businesses meet their objectives faster. We work with our clients, not just for them.
Technical skills are only a small part of our requirements – yes, our team has to have top notch accounting and people skills, but buying into our vision and sharing our values are as critical, if not more so, than technical skills. Just one of the ways we focus on our people & culture is through The DifferenceTM which is our methodology for creating the experience at flinder which makes us very different to any other accounting firm and how we continually support and challenge our people during and beyond their professional qualifications. We’re looking for exceptional candidates to help us continue to grow at a rapid pace and come on our incredible journey with us.
As a Finance Manager, you will be responsible for delivering our services to a portfolio of diverse clients predominantly in the London and South East region. With technical accounting experience you will be close to the detail and instrumental to ensuring all client deliverables are accurate and timely, including annual financial statements and technical accounting questions. There will be a heavy emphasis on the management accounting side and understanding business rationale for variances to budget. You will be responsible for managing a pod and get involved in some consulting-style engagement and performance improvement projects. You will be responsible for providing a premium client service that is absolutely second to none. Just like your clients, you will also be an instrumental part of a new and growing business.
Duties & responsibilities
You will have responsibility for:
- Lead a pod team of 6 with oversight, coaching and support
- Supporting the client onboarding journey
- Finance system design & build and working with data structures
- Improve processes for new clients to best in practice, leveraging technology where possible and streamlining them
- Supporting the design of rich bespoke client management information
- Developing client process manuals
- Reviewing close activities and monthly working papers e.g. reconciliations, vat returns, prepayments/accruals & journals
- Familiar with using and reporting from cloud accounting systems (e.g. Xero, QuickBooks)
- Reviewing management commentaries
- Reviewing monthly/quarterly management accounts
- Review of annual statutory accounts and corporation tax
- Investigating and responding to technical accounting queries
- Primary relationship owner for less complex clients
- Performing ad hoc requests and non-routine questions from clients
- Ad-hoc work required in an agile business
- Technical support to flinder business advisors in delivery of their portfolios
Experience & requirements
To be considered for the role you must have:
- An accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or equivalent
- At least 1 year of relevant post qualification experience in a small to mid-sized practice
- Extensive experience and working knowledge of bookkeeping, management accounts, consolidations and finance processes
- Specific experience with the companies act requirements and UK GAAP
- An enjoyment of working for different clients whilst understanding their individual needs
- Experience in managing multiple stakeholders
- Strong project management and multitasking skills
- Strong computer skills, with particular experience in excel
- Experience with cloud accounting systems (e.g. Xero, QuickBooks, Sage One/Live)
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills
- The ability to proactively question everything to improve quality and processes
- An approach that client satisfaction is absolutely second to none
- Drive and desire for progression within flinder, we want you to be our business advisor of the future
- Travel to client sites may be required (typically in and around London)
- Your skills and experience will determine the entry level, and progression within flinder will be dependent on performance
- You will thrive working in an entrepreneurial environment, have a clear understanding of the flinder values and demonstrating these in everything you do is an absolute must
- An interest in skiing or snowboarding would be helpful for our annual ski trip!
- Attractive salary
- Discretionary performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Employee perks
- Fully paid skiing strategy week
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- Flexible working
- MacBook Air available for business and personal use
While we offer flexible working, we also expect our team to invest in their career and flinder, and go above and beyond as standard within their role. If you don’t consider yourself an exceptional candidate who wants to push your personal development and your professional career then please do not apply. This is not the environment for you.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any form of visa sponsorship, so candidates must be an EU citizen or possess a current UK Tier 1 Visa and be eligible to take up full time, permanent employment.
EU candidates must also demonstrate they are eligible to take up UK employment post-Brexit.