Human Resources is looking for a payroll leader to ensure M&T's 18,000 domestic and international employees are paid accurately and on–time. This individual will oversee the Payroll strategy and the team and liaise with other Human Resource COE leaders, Finance, Tax, Legal, etc. M&T's Payroll Manager develops the controls necessary to accomplish the organization's payroll and compensation objectives, including relationships with internal and external auditors and state and federal agencies and is responsible for the payroll accounting and tax liability functions.
- Plans, coordinates, and manages the activities of the payroll staff to ensure the generation of pay to employees in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manages the compensation administrative functions including merit cycles and off–cycle processing.
- Ensures that the payroll department is in compliance with legal, tax issues and audit requirements.
- Plays a critical role in planning and executing the strategic direction and initiatives of the payroll/compensation functions.
- Plans and executes process improvements.
- Manages system enhancements.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures. Communicates the changes to employees.
- Reviews bi–weekly fluctuation in payroll for reasonableness.
- Ensures that account reconciliation and tax remittances are completed accurately and timely.
- Acts as a liaison between payroll, outside vendors, and Corporate Applications.
- Communicates with all levels of management.
- Exercise usual authority of a manager concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, performance management and terminations.
- Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's Risk Appetite. Identify risk–related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience.
Ten years large multi–state company payroll experience.
Three to five years' supervisory experience in a payroll / accounting environment.
Ability to identity, test, and implement system enhancements.
Solid knowledge of payroll systems
Education and Experience Preferred:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of personnel.
Thorough understanding of detailed and complex data and excellent reporting skills.
Strong knowledge of accounting procedures.
Understand the importance of adhering to audit requirements.
Ability to work under critical time constraints.
Strong management skills.
Dedicated to maintaining high levels of customer service.
Buffalo, New York, United States of America