Sr. Accountant - New York
The Senior Accountant works under the general direction of the Assistant Controller.
The position assists in ensuring the accurate and timely preparation of Financial Statements by recording and reconciling financial activity of the assigned Fund(s)
The position also provides oversight and review of the work of Staff Accountant(s) level I and II.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to; review of other Financial Statements assigned to Staff Accountants, review of Account Payable account coding, assist with bank activities, cash flows, review of Government filings, prepare journal entries for the month–end close, Investment and Bank Reconciliation reviews and assist with audits as necessary.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare Financial Statements and provide year over year variance explanations.
• Responsible for Departmental Budget to Actual reports on a quarterly basis including analysis and variance explanations. Reconcile expenses with Department Leads ensuring proper coding of all expenses.
• Analyze and review all General Ledger activity within accounts including: researching and correcting any variances and identifying potential issues.
• Recommend internal control and policy/procedure improvements if necessary.
• Assist in the preparation of the Annual and Quarterly filings such as: Form 5500, Form 990T, Form 990, Form 8955, Form 945 and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. Filings.
• Become a trusted advisor to the customers of Accounting and manage expectations.
• Analyze current procedures and recommend changes to develop and implement best practice accounting procedures.
• Work on developing and maintaining effective and efficient business processes.
• Perform various project–based work as needed to implement greater efficiencies, scalability, and controls.
• Must have solid working knowledge of Financial Management from daily operation to forecasting and Budgeting of Fund(s).
• Manage conflicting deadlines and priorities as assigned. Quickly adapt to changing priorities, managing and clearly communicating deadline risks as new tasks and projects arise.
• Performs any other relevant, related or pertinent work or duties as requested or assigned by the Assistant Controller or the Controller, Senior Management or designee.
• Intermediate level of proficiency in Microsoft office, including Excel, Word, Outlook & PowerPoint
• Knowledge of AccPac (or equivalent) preferred
• Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
• Strong analytical, problem solving and decision–making skills
• Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills
• Detail oriented with strong ability to multitask
• Knowledge of GAAP
• Build and maintain strong working relationships
• Gears communication to the needs of others
• Highly motivated, detailed oriented individual
• Strong presentation skills
• Strong oral, written and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated customer service orientation
• Ability to work both independently and as a team player
• Ability to effectively operate in a fast paced work environment
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance
• 5+ years of experience as an Accountant
• Provides recommendations of potential solution for issue/problem
• Respects timelines set to complete work projects
• Prioritizes work flows and escalates time sensitive matters
• Consistently seek best practices in accounting policies and procedures
• Seeks ways to work more efficiently and effectively while not losing sight of departmental goals
• Follows up with request and assignments seeing them through completion
• Assist with other tasks as necessary