Accountant - FirstEnergy Solutions - Akron, OH - FirstEnergy Corp.
FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor–owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid–Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Solutions (FES), a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FES]
The General Accountant will report to the Manager, Accounting Operations and provide support in all aeras of Corporate Accounting including aiding in the development and maintenance of accounting policies, best practices and systems to collect, analyze and report information across the company. This positoin will prepare and book journal entries, support the monthly close process and aid in the prepartion of monthly financial statement analysis. The individual will be at the forefront of continuous improvement projects aimed to enhance quality and efficiency in all areas of corporate accounting.
The position is located at the West Akron Campus (WAC) in Akron, Ohio. There are 4 openings.
- Assisting and performing financial statement close activities
- Calculating and booking allocation journal entries for corporate and shared services costs based on established methodologies
- Preparing and booking journal entries (i.e. monthly accruals, prepaids)
- Updating and maintaining accounting journals, ledgers, and other financial records (i.e. Chart of Accounts)
- Preparing general ledger account reconciliations
- Aid in the development and maintenance of policy and procedure documentation
- Provide necessary information and support in preparation of internal and external reporting
- Collaborate with team members to identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience required. Relevant work experience will include financial background.
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Experience with SAP preferred
- Demonstrated working knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Demonstrated working knowledge in aspects of finance and accounting, internal controls, risk mitigation, company policy and financial analysis
- Demonstrated ability to execute to achieve results while working in team environment
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company–sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H–1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co–workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident–free, injury–free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world–class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team