Come work for a dynamic team at one of Forbes' Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies! We are looking for a Property Accountant to join our Austin office. The successful candidate will be responsible for all required day–to–day accounting functions for an assigned portfolio of properties, and will be the primary accounting liaison to operational staff and corporate departments for the assigned property portfolio. This is a comprehensive position that requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting. American Campus Communities is the nation's largest owner, operator, and manager of premier student housing facilities. Enjoy a fun, team–oriented work environment and casual dress code at a large publicly–traded company with competitive benefits. The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash. No matter their position or duration at any given property, everyone picks up trash.
Upon supervisor approval, this candidate will have the ability to work from home two days of the week after a six month tenure with the Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Be in contact with operational staff on a regular basis to ensure they are receiving the information required to operate the properties and the reporting calendar is met.
- Provide accounting expertise to operational staff – an ability to understand the operational point of view is a must.
- Prepare full–service financial statements for assigned properties for operational staff, Directors, and the Vice President – Assistant Controller.
- Perform required accounting functions such as reconciling accounting schedules to the general ledger, making journal entries, reconciling bank statements, preparing supporting working papers, etc.
- Prepare additional reports and analysis as required by auditors, lenders, and joint venture partners.
- Assist in the preparation and review of annual budgets.
- Assist operational staff and management with explanations of variances from budget.
- Understand and comply with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley, and other related policies and procedures.
- Special projects and other duties, as assigned by Directors, Vice President– Assistant Controller, and Senior Vice President–Controller.
- 3–7 years accounting experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (Excel) a must, MRI experience a plus
- Real estate experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Independent, self–starter, team player.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong relationship–building ability, proactive, results–oriented, and resourceful.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail.
The American Campus culture is comprised of passionate and positive team members, focused on putting students first and supporting our student housing communities, no matter their role within the organization. Come pursue growth in your career with an organization committed to job training and a promote–from–within approach – your opportunities can be as vast as your ambition!