About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Management Accountant to join our Enabling Functions team to work in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
To deliver and help drive the reporting of financial performance including the preparation of primary and associated financial statements, interpretation and analysis of variance to budget/forecast and the effective management of underlying ledgers.
What you'll be doing
As a Management Accountant, you will be responsible for the following:-
- Responsible for producing monthly management accounts including profit and loss account, balance sheet, cash flows, variance analysis, key performance indicators and supporting commentaries in line with agreed SLA and reporting deadlines;
- Maintain management accounting processes and implement and communicate any required changes;
- Provide supporting data and relevant analysis to the SBU teams to aid decision making in an effective and timely manner;
- Ensure management and HY/FY fiscal reporting are fully reconciled and aligned;
- Prepare, submit and review all consolidated HFM management accounts for SBU and Group Finance review and sign off. Assist in local management accounts reporting where directed;
- Validate and upload all monthly actual results, budgets and forecasts to the Group consolidation and reporting model (HFM) in line with required deadlines;
- Work collaboratively as a key member of the Accounting Services Management Team to ensure the execution of the strategic and operational objectives that apply to own area of internal reporting responsibility;
- Lead and/or contribute and support Projects as designated;
- Ensure compliance with all finance processes, controls and regulatory framework. Ensure areas which could potentially adversely affect the business are expediently highlighted to management and the Accounting Services Controls team;
- Proactively own and resolve issues including any business non-compliance through adopting a flexible approach and the creation of innovative solutions which maintain an acceptable balance between risk, reward, and compliance;
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:-
- Qualified accountant (ACA / CIMA / ACCA or equivalent) with 2 years PQE;
- Intermediate / advanced Ms Excel, Ms Power Point and Ms Word;
- Strong accounting experience with a sound understanding of all management accounting disciplines;
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of accounting and reporting systems including multicurrency ERP systems (preferably Oracle), applicable legislation and the statutory and regulatory framework;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Good presentation skills;
- The ability to challenge existing process, controls and delivery to improve performance;
- Demonstrable ability to support business planning in a shared service environment and to develop key processes and KPI/metrics to help evaluate and improve performance;
- Good understanding of construction industry and working in a multiple Operating Company environment with diverse stakeholder management;
- Experience of leading, managing, developing and motivating colleagues;
- Relevant experience of managing in a customer service focused organisation with a track record of delivery;
- Strong change management experience;
- Experience of transitioning accounting and reporting work from an SBU to a shared service;
- A strong continuous improvement mentality and project related experience;
- Strong awareness of Financial Reporting Standards and other developments within global accounting practices and the ability to apply within the company
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beattys Enabling Functions includes our centralised HR, IT, Procurement, Finance, Health & Safety, Sustainability and Comms teams. Together we support Balfour Beatty to deliver projects on behalf of our clients. We operate according to our Build to Last values of Lean, Expert, Trusted and Safe.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.