What are we looking for?
A qualified accountant to support the European Assistant Financial Controller with all aspects of financial accounting for the firm. To act as an interface between the Finance department and other members of the Firm, especially budget holders.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Review of monthly general ledger (trial balance) reconciliations (e.g. accruals, prepayments)
- Monthly preparation of the Profit and Loss Account
- Meeting with budget holders to discuss cost variances and report thereon
- Oversee production of fixed asset registers
- Monthly reporting to management on business development costs
- Preparation of EU sales list
- Preparation of UK and Swiss VAT returns
- Review monthly, quarterly and annual National Statistics returns and other annual returns
- Assisting in the annual budgeting process. Preparation of Finance budget and review of other departmental budgets
- Assisting in the preparation of the Firm’s statutory accounts, including the production of extended trial balances
- Supporting the accounts payable team in the running maintenance and development of the Chrome River expenses system
- Perform ad-hoc duties within the accounting department (e.g. set up on-line payments, deal with car purchases/disposals etc.)
- Maintenance of key masterfiles in the Elite accounting system
- Maintenance of budgeting system (SAP, BPC) including data imports, code set up, user profiles and report building
- Other ad hoc projects and reports as required
- Dealing with the annual audit including preparation of an audit file and providing requested information
- Preparation of partners distribution schedule and supporting communications
- Control and reconciliation of partners accounts
- Preparation of biannual payment practices report
- Preparation of PWC and other surveys
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job, and as such, the role may also include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Technical skills and experience
- Professionally qualified (ACA, ACCA) accountant with minimum 2 year PQE
- Knowledge of UK GAAP/Reporting Standards (FRSIu2 knowledge is preferable) and SAR
- Highly PC literate with strong Excel skills
- Previous experience with Elite Enterprise desirable
- Commercial aptitude with a modern, pro-active approach
- First class written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Ability to win the confidence and respect of Partners
- The energy and enthusiasm to manage new initiatives, challenge the norm and strive towards excellence and innovation
- The ability to stay calm and work under pressure whilst maintaining a high level of attention to detail and a sense of urgency
- The ability to deliver a complete solution
- A flexible approach to work with the ability to use your initiative
- An organised approach to work which allows you to manage conflicting deadlines and priorities
- 9.30am to 5.30pm but flexibility is a must, particularly during reporting cycles
- 12 week probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
- One day a week at our Berners Street office
About the Finance team at Withers
The Finance Department has a complement of approximately 30 professionals based in the London office and over approximately 30 in Europe and APAC. The Finance team is a hardworking and committed one and is closely integrated to deliver a valued service to the business.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only dedicated international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States, Australia and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 42% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of the top 100 people listed in the US (Forbes) and a significant number in the Asian (Hurun) Rich List.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.