Financial Accounting Analyst (Master Data Management)
The Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM), Bureau of Management supports UNDP in the promotion of its sustainable human development agenda. It achieves this by developing and making fully operational a dynamic and harmonized integrated resource management framework.
As part of this commitment, UNDP adopted International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) on 1 January 2012, and established the Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) to serve UNDP's network of offices (covering 166 countries around the world) in the provision of financial, accounting and procurement services. In addition to their day-to-day operations, the GSSC supports UNDP's country offices through transactions support training where needed, and other ad-hoc services to OFRM.
Financial Performance Management and Reporting Division provides financial performance management framework and too ls accounting, and financial services. Within the Financial Performance Management and Reporting Division, the Financial Reporting and Agencies (FRA) promotes clear accountability for financial transact ions and produces corporate financial statements.
In order to enhance efficiency and transparency of business processes to ensure more relevant and frequent delivery of financial statements for an earlier statutory audit, UNDP has implemented the Oracle Hyperion software with advanced Web technology to automate preparation of financial statements. This allows rapid consolidation and reporting of financial results, delivery confidence in numbers, and provides an automated audit trail for external audit.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Manager, Financial Reporting and Agencies, the Financial Accounting Analyst (Master Data Management) ensures the integrity of Master data and related GL elements, necessary for accurate recording of financial transaction s and the preparation of reliable Financial statements. S/he will ensure that data governance processes respect the integrity of the different Financial systems The Financial Accounting Analyst (Master Data Management) will be required to work closely with other divisions within the Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM) to ensure the integrity of UNDP financial records. The incumbent also
provides input to the preparation of corporate reports and financial schedules to support the corporate financial statements (interim financial and biennium for audit). S/he will work with RTR lead to improve regularly the team' processes, in a continuous improvement culture.
Directly working on General Accounting, s/he will also be able to assist OFRM FRA, and GSSC (Procure to Pay, Revenues, HR Finance, Analytics and Regional Tier 1 processes) where possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) The Financial Accounting Analyst (Master Data Management) will ensure General ledger accounting occur correctly contribute actively to the preparation of Financial reports (Donors, Bureaux reports, financial statements) by ensuring the integrity of GL Master Data. Through detailed analysis, she/he will ensure accuracy of general ledger reconciliations and accuracy of GL inputs. This includes to liaising with GSSC and OIMT on submodule to GL reconciliations to ensure master data integrity on a monthly basis. S/he contributes to notes preparation for Financial statements and provide information for auditors requests. S/he will implement the organization's internal control and data governance framework for financial accounting, promoting clear accountability for creating and monitoring master data, financial transact ions and producing reconciled accounts.
2) Assist on the analysis of GL and bank account, reconciliation with sub-ledgers. S/he will validate theses analysis and the corrective actions taken on master data. Ensure ageing of items is analyzed and that escalations are taking place.
3) Contribute to assets and investments accounts analysis: ensure assets are recorded properly, that their life is managed according to principles. Monitor investment planning so that assets are clearly identified and budgeted. Review assets module to ensure proper pre-payments accuracy, "capitalization" and "expensing" in compliance with IPSAS. Implement or check regular physical verifications and reconcile these verifications with books, taking corrective actions when necessary.
4) Contribute to cash and investments accounts management Ensure transactions and foreign exchanges effects are recorded and allocated according to rules. Contribute to the preparation of investment status reports, to the preparation of notes for Financial statements and gather information for auditors requests.
5) Implement metrics to monitor the respect of Standard Agreements, to ensure continuous improvement in data management, in collaboration with CTU GSSC and Bureaux Financial Partners. Inform FRA Manager regularly and on time on progress and issues.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
Ability to examine and verify accounts and records
Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Financial Planning and Budgeting
Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP's long and short-term financial goals
Functional Technical Knowledge
Firm understanding of business intelligence tools, and the architecture and design of advanced integrated management systems, preferably including PeopleSoft
Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
Accurately accumulating information and its analysis; forecasting potential problems and planning; allowing for alternative, creative solutions and identifying most reasonable solutions
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced (Master's) University Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a relevant discipline or a professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy. Those with professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage. Long-listed candidates will be required to undergo the UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test.
- Minimum 1 years of relevant experience in treasury and/or financial accounting.
- Detailed knowledge and experience complying with IFRS or IPSAS.
Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of any other UN language desirable
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office packages Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages. Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Hands-on experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), preferably PeopleSoft).
- Experience in Business Process Reengineering method (e.g: Six Sigma) desirable.
Important applicant information
Internal mobility at GSSU is strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to reassign the newly appointed staff members with similar skillset and educational qualifications for similar functions and job categories at the same level in GSSU. The internal lateral movements will be determined based on the needs of the organization while allowing the newly recruits to broaden their skills, build networks and gain fresh experience and to better align their profiles with the jobs.
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Candidates must be resident in Malaysia, or have the right to work in Malaysia.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.