Working at General Dental Council
To ensure that the reporting of the GDC’s financial and management accounts is sound, agrees with the underlying books and records and that reporting timescales are complied with. To ensure that the GDC’s systems of internal control are operating as designed, are regularly reviewed and that corrective action is taken where necessary. To provide a professional and timely accounting service in respect of all financial operations including collections, banking, payment of invoices, members’ fees and expenses through the purchase ledger, sales ledger and payroll. To manage the development and maintenance of the Finance function’s systems and processes. To manage the operational function of the Finance team to ensure accurate and timely management information for use by management and the Council.
- Ensure that the monthly management accounts are produced to a high standard and that they agree with the underlying books and records.
- Support overall working capital management at the GDC including the production of quarterly rolling cash flow forecasts and the monthly cash position, and monthly reporting on our investments.
- Overseeing the recording of all members’ claims and sending of claims to the payroll provider in line with agreed timescales and service level agreements.
- Provide training, guidance and advice to budget-holders on the budgetary system, financial planning, budgeting and forecasting.
- Manage the individuals within the team responsible for financial and management accounting, providing both effective leadership and day-to-day direction
- Support the Senior Financial Planning and Analysis Manager in the preparation of consolidated budgets and continuous evaluation of the budgetary system.
- Lead the preparation of the GDC annual statutory accounts and ensure activities are performed effectively and to the required statutory and audit standards.
- Lead the team through the interim and annual external audits.
- Lead in the provision of financial and non-financial analysis and reports for colleagues, management and members of the Council.
- Lead in the implementation of any system upgrades or developments and build effective relationships with software providers.
- Lead the planning and development of new SOPs and system procedures and updating existing policies, processes and procedures as required.
- Ensure relationships with key external and internal stakeholders are managed proactively and effectively.
- Ensure that the operational management of the Finance function is robust.
- Support the Executive Director, Registration and Corporate Resources on all aspects of operational financial management.
- Deputise for the Head of Finance and Procurement in the absence of the post holder.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Qualified ACCA or CIMA.
- Experience of coaching and developing staff and encouraging staff responsibility and engagement.
- Experience of preparing annual statutory accounts.
- Experience of management of a small operational finance function.
- Proven experience of producing insightful data analysis and reports for management, preferably in a Regulatory Body.
- Proven experience of communicating effectively with budget-holders and senior management.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to meet deadlines, structure work in a timely way and inspire a team to help the GDC meet its goals.
- Computer literate and proficient in the MS Office suite including Word, Access, Excel (Macro Level), with a proven track record of developing an integrated accounting system, preferably Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Ability to manage financial systems and lead on the development and implementation of improvements to current processes.
- Ability to clearly and confidently explain financial information to senior management and other non-financial staff.
- Ability to develop new ideas and lead projects for improving efficiency and effectiveness.
- Highly organised and ability to work to agreed deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work on own and integrate into a team at all levels.
- Ability to think logically and has a demonstrated track record of researching and investigating issues and problem-solving.
- A demonstrable commitment to equality and diversity.
In return for your commitment, you can look forward to working for an organisation that offers an attractive package of benefits including a generous pension scheme, flexi-time and 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 5 years’ service).
Closing date: 23:59 on Friday 27th September 2019 - early applications are invited and will be assessed on a first come, first served basis.
1st stage interviews will take place on Thursday 5th and Friday 6th September initially
2nd stage interviews will take place on Thursday 12th and Friday 13th September initially
The General Dental Council values equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.