Deputy Head of Fund Accounting
Job Title: Divisional Manager Fund Accounting – Deputy Head Of Fund Accounting
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 23,055 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
Northern Trust proudly cultivates a diverse workforce, to serve our diverse client base. We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company. We encourage applications from the best regardless of ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, education, socio-economic background, parental and caring status, or religion.
Divisional Manager Role
Reporting to the Head of Fund Accounting
Responsible for managing an accounting operations unit or function
- Manages an accounting operations unit or function. Conducts the performance management process, identifies training and development needs, and establishes performance standards for the unit.
- Determines staffing needs, makes hiring and firing decisions, handles salary administration, and ensures resources are available to accomplish priorities.
- Participates in developing the business unit strategic plan and sets goals and priorities based on the direction set for the unit. Follows through to ensure objectives are met.
- Contributes to the development of the department’s budget and manages the expenses for own division.
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, fostering an environment which encourages employee participation, teamwork, and communication.
- Analyses records of client accounting reports identifying deficiencies in control procedures, duplication of operations, or lack of compliance with established bank policies and industry regulations.
- Cultivates and maintains working relationships with relationship managers to ensure client account activity are meeting client needs.
- Participates in client meetings to explain the bank’s product or service. Consults on effective ways to meet client needs or appropriate method to be used for resolution of an error.
- Ensures that adequate training/cross training is provided for all employees.
- Guides subordinates in the resolution of difficult client reporting/accounting problems that are non-routine in nature. Directs staff efforts in meeting department objectives.
- Monitors the production of accounting products, such as reconciliations, audits, and plans of division.
Job Specific Duties
- Reports to the Head of Fund Accounting and Financial Reporting directly
- Manages two or more accounting operation teams/section managers.
- Contributes to the development and achievement of the overall department strategic and tactical objectives and budget objectives.
- Is fully responsible and accountable for timeliness and quality of NAV deliverables within own division.
- Attends and actively contributes to weekly manager meetings and chairs meetings in the absence of the Head.
- Takes on specific project roles/areas of responsibility within FA
- Acts as senior escalation point of contact for assigned clients
- Assists the Head of the department in resource allocation of people and funds
Key Competency Behaviours
- Think Analytically
- Take Action
- Advise Beyond Expectations
The Employee Experience - Life at Northern Trust
Joining us, you would benefit from a positive work culture, where we support our employees' efforts to balance work and home life, in part by offering access to a broad range of workplace support options including: flexible working; emergency family or child care support; professional mentoring; paid volunteering days etc.
Personal and professional growth – a world of opportunity
To support our Global business strategy, we have a number of Business Resource Councils committed to promoting diversity and inclusion and supporting employees in their personal and professional growth. We provide opportunities for networking, mentoring and personal and career development across demographic and geographic groups. In 2014, these groups were responsible for a broad range of personal and professional activities including, guest speaker thought leadership, elder care, nutrition for children, stress awareness day, language classes and religious and cultural celebrations to name a few.
Interested in giving back?
Volunteerism, philanthropy, sound business practices and ethics in addition to a conservation-minded approach to protecting the environment; all are integral to Northern Trust’s culture of caring and form the foundation of our corporate social responsibility (CSR). All employees are given 2 days paid leave to volunteer and support. Take a look our CSR report on our careers site to find out more.
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
As Northern Trust is a financial organisation; all new employees will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.