We are Geffen Mesher, a Portland-based accounting and consulting firm that focuses on providing ongoing financial strategy, accounting and tax services for businesses and high-net-worth individuals.
We serve many industries and create solutions that help our diverse clientele plan and build their financial pictures wisely. We have the strength, talent, and resources of a national firm, but offer a personalized, local firm experience. Our integrity remains unmatched as we genuinely value our clients, and it’s this exceptional standard of care that distinguishes Geffen Mesher from its peers.
For more than 85 years, our focus has taken us beyond the numbers and into the lives, plans, and strategic goals of our clients. In providing professional tax, financial and business consulting, and reporting, we have successfully guided our clients through booms and busts, recessions and recoveries, with an approach and model built around the commitment of our people, decades of experience, and expertise across a wide range of industries.
We need bright, motivated and energetic people to help us continue our growth. We are currently looking for tax managers to join our REAL ESTATE team who will exemplify our core values:
- We work with Integrity
- We seek lasting relationships
- We provide exceptional value and quality
- We foster collaborative teamwork
- We promote flexibility and adaptability
- We achieve excellence while having fun
- We encourage growth through opportunity
- We inspire creative and innovation
- We respect each other, our differences, and our shared values
Who you are
You love delivering excellent client service, with superior results. You are hands-on in your workstyle and passionate about developing the people on your team. You can juggle multiple projects and will be responsible for the efficient, accurate, complete and timely preparation of all clients’ tax returns for which you are responsible. As a manager, you should be able to demonstrate advanced technical skills in a variety of tax and accounting areas, along with well-developed and applied management and supervisory skills.
The Nuts and Bolts
Candidates at this level are CPAs and typically have been managers for 2+ years. Candidates will be expected to:
- Possess technical knowledge sufficient to supervise staff and senior accountants on multiple engagements simultaneously, and evaluate their progress
- Have the skills necessary to develop and maintain quality client relationships
- Plan, supervise and complete complex engagements
- Develop new client contacts and relationships beneficial to the firm
- Recognize opportunities to provide additional services to clients
- Assume responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to assure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns
- Prepare tax returns for more complex individual, trust, partnership and corporate tax clients
- Review and evaluate work papers and determine compliance with professional standards, firm policy, as well as tax compliance. Direct necessary revisions
- Lead staff and senior accountants to employ methods that will accomplish objectives in a timely manner
- Lead planning meetings with staff and senior accountants to establish budget guidelines and discuss pertinent issues related to client work
- Perform tax research Supervise, train and mentor staff and senior accountants
- Be involved in practice development and supervision of multiple engagements
- Bill clients, discuss fees and make collections calls when necessary
- Anticipate and address client concerns and escalating problems as they arise
- Initiate cross selling business to the accounting and assurance practice if applicable
- Promote new ideas and business solutions that result in extended services to existing clients
- Maintain knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate
- Proactively interact with key client management to gather information, resolve tax related problems and make recommendations for business and process improvements
- Assist senior management on proposals and business development
- Gain comprehensive understanding of client operations, processes and business objectives and utilize that knowledge for tax planning purposes
- Attend professional development and training sessions on a regular basis
- Additional duties as requested.
What you need
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field; advanced degree in tax is a plus
- Certified public accountant
- 5+ years’ experience in a public accounting firm, at least 1-2 years as a manager
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to give and receive both positive and constructive feedback
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills
Benefits and Perks
Our close knit, team-centric culture is a great place to grow your career. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, four weeks of paid time off per year, paid overtime, and very generous 401(K)/Profit Sharing contributions. We also offer paid parental leave for both parents, summer hour scheduling, a flexible work environment and Dress for Your Day dress code. We serve busy season meals, breakfasts, host frequent in-house socials, have a killer kick ball team, and have a long history of active community involvement and volunteerism.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.