Senior Financial Specialist
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a multi-stakeholder platform and an action network, supported by a global secretariat that was established as an intergovernmental organization to support countries in their efforts to manage their water resources equitably and sustainably. The GWP network includes thirteen regional teams mobilising more 60 country water partnerships and over 3,000 institutional Partners in 180+ countries. The global team is hosted by the GWP Organisation (GWPO), an Inter-Governmental Organisation located in Stockholm, Sweden. More information: www.gwp.org
The global team is comprised of a dynamic group of 25+ staff and consultants who work to support GWP’s Regional Water Partnerships, Country Water Partnerships and institutional partners, as well as, all GWP’s stakeholders. The global team’s financial management services are a critical element of the Network’s architecture, ensuring that global and regional development partners can contribute financially – through GWP - to activities on the ground in over 50 countries while being able to trust in GWP’s transparent, auditable and reliable financial management practices and processes. Across our regional and country teams, we have built excellence in financial management through combining capacity building with accreditation, and we continuously invest in and sustain good practice and knowledge sharing across our partner organisations. We are now looking to identify a dynamic and innovative Senior Financial Specialist and Deputy CFO who will, as part of GWP’s small but high-powered Finance & Administration Team, help us further sustain, strengthen and build the financial management systems and practices across our Network of partners. This is a position for someone with dedication to development and passion for good financial management.
SCOPE OF THIS POSITION:
The Senior Financial Specialist/Deputy CFO shall, together with the Finance and Admin Team, initiate and monitor the financial management systems at all levels of GWP, to ensure a robust execution of the financial and administrative management
The Senior Financial Specialist/Deputy CFO is the GWPO financial contact person for 5-6 Regional Water Partnerships (RWP), as well as selected projects. This includes supporting the budget process, preparing templates, quality controlling and reconciling financial reports, following up on audit recommendations, and providing continuous support on finance related issues.
The Senior Financial Specialist/Deputy CFO shall,
- provide strategic guidance and expert advice on finance related issues that have a broad impact on GWP.
- provide financial analysis and guidance to the Regional Water Partnerships/CountryWPs/Host Institutions within the designated regions, as well as to the global team in Stockholm.
- recommend process and service improvements, and guide and support project teams, to achieve GWP’s financial targets and objectives.
- support the improvement of internal financial, administrative, and contract related processes.
- actively ensure high quality service from the Finance and Administration unit to the Secretariat, the GWP Network and other parties.
The Senior Financial Specialist/Deputy CFO reports to the CFO and works closely with the Network Operations Unit and Financial Officers at Global and Regional level.
Financial Management Processes
- Establish and maintain financial management controls for the effective management of funds in the Network
- Take the lead in preparing sound and easy to understand financial guidelines for the Network
- Provide an effective and user-friendly financial reporting structure for the Network
- In collaboration with the finance team, ensure consistency in reporting and financial communication between the GWPO Secretariat and the Network
- Continuously improve processes and service to the global and regional teams
Donors/Host Institutions/Project Management
- Participate in the evaluation of new as well as existing host Institutions/self-hosting RWPs in relation to financial management
- Anticipate and manage changes arising from new donor agreements and/or organisational changes, and find innovative solutions to complex financial challenges
- Review donor agreements to align the financial management of programmes with donor requirements
- Review project proposals, provide financial analysis, and make recommendations for approval
Financial Reporting & Records management
- Work closely with Network Operations on effective M&E measures that provide incentives for timely and accurate financial reporting
- Facilitate and quality assure timely financial reporting from the network (5-6 RWPs)
- Reconcile regional reports, update regional liquidity & budget follow up reports, and prepare accounting entries for processing
- Consolidate financial reports from regions into summary reports
- Prepare the Quarterly Financial Briefs and other financial information for the Network Operations meetings, including tracking actual and forecast expenditures, underline budget deviations, provide analysis, and make recommendations for budget re-allocations
- Prepare and submit financial reports to the global team for donors or internal use
- Assess cash flow forecasts and make recommendations to approve funding requests
- Keep updated records of key financial information such as regional financial contacts (host institutions and RWPs) and regional auditors
- Authorised focal person to set up/change supplier data in MS NAV
- Financial controller in the Decision Archive
- Provide the GWPO auditors with the regional annual financial reports, local audit reports and other information as requested by the global auditors
- Liaise with external auditors in respect to donor-initiated audits
- Follow up on issues raised in the regional audit reports
- Carry out internal audits as requested
Capacity-building and coaching
- Provide support to Network Operations and be a member of the Regional Support Team
- Provide guidance and support to the CWP and/or RWP, as requested, as part of the Network´s aim to strengthen the operational capacity at country level (OPCAP)
- Provide expert advice and financial training to the regional and country teams
- Provide guidance, advice and capacity building to the GWPO Financial Specialist and Financial Associate
- Give guidance and support on the preparation of forecasts and project budgets
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with the global and regional teams
- Finance and Administration Unit’s representative in Task Forces
- Provide a back-up function for the GWPO Finance Specialist and Finance Associate
- Deputise the CFO
- Other duties as assigned by the CFO
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree or similar further education in accounting, business administration, or finance
- At least 10 years of experience in accounting or finance
- Experience from developing countries or an international environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and integrity
- Effective communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Reliable, valuing the importance of timeliness and accuracy
- Excellent analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to find innovative solutions to complex problems
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, working level of French, Spanish, and Swedish an advantage
Professionalism: Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Ability to exercise good judgement, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues.
Planning and Organising: Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability is essential.
E-literacy: Excellent e-skills, including the ability to use modern office technology and related software. Practical knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software is required. Ability to do internet research, compile information and find solutions online to information gaps is essential.
Teamwork: Support colleagues, contribute to team culture, and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility. Ability to “lead from behind” and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high-quality products.
Personal: A good sense of humor. Love for nature, its beauty and its resources. Willingness to 'get the job' done with a positive attitude to take on a wide range of tasks. Availability for longer travel to attend international meetings.
Professionals with a background from and/or living and working in Asian, African, Eastern European, Latin American, or Middle Eastern countries are encouraged to apply.
GWP offers competitive remuneration as well as an attractive work environment, with flat hierarchies and fast decisions, and with great opportunities for professional exposure and growth.
The position is expected to be a long-term assignment and part of the core team. The contract is initially offered for 1-2 years for administrative reasons. The appointment may be made at a lower grade based on the qualifications and professional experience of the selected applicant.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted within 4-6 weeks after the application deadline.