Trainee Accountant (apprenticeship)
Job title Trainee Accountant (apprenticeship)
Reporting to Financial Director
Location Highams Park E4 9JG
About Futon Company:
Futon Company began life in 1980 and now has 20 shops across the UK. We have been supplying quality futons and small space living furniture for over 38 years, and not just in the UK. Over the years we've exported to almost every European country, and we've made well over two million futons.
- The main focus of this role is to ensure that purchases from overseas suppliers are correctly managed from placement of order to receipts of goods.
- Other administrative duties within Finance will also be a responsibility.
- We are a very small team which means you will gain exposure to many different parts of the business. This is an ideal entry level position for someone who wants to develop a career in finance and take the professional examinations.
Key Accountabilities – Finance Department
- Responding to finance queries from stores/suppliers and customers.
- Responsible for inputting all product and freight invoices onto our payment system and seeking authorisation from the buying department for payments.
- Responsible for ensuring payments are processed and sending payment confirmation directly to the supplier, copying in the buying department.
- Managing an excel spreadsheet that tracks orders from placing with supplier to receipt of goods.
- Provide information for cash flow forecast.
- Responsible for updating suppliers’ new payment details to the payment system once verified verbally and in writing. Ensuring invoiced prices are correct by checking the company database.
- Able to maintain good relationships with oversea suppliers.
- Assisting with stock take.
- Any other duties required by Financial Director.
Necessary Skills & Attributes
- Numeracy is essential.
- Full training will be given but experience in a finance environment will be beneficial.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Basic understanding of accounting processes and procedures.
- A good level of computer literacy is essential. Total familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Outlook is necessary, knowledge of Xero would be an advantage.
- Experience of Microsoft Access would be beneficial.
- Awareness of the provisions of the Data Protection Act and be able to apply these within the organisation.
- The ability to manage time and workload independently and to cope with multiple priorities and the varying demands of a seasonal business is required.
- Communication skills. A high level of verbal and written communication skills is essential.
- The ability to communicate effectively with team members at all levels including senior management is essential.
- Attitudes and Behaviour. Must be trustworthy and have integrity.
- Must have a pleasant, helpful and optimistic attitude.
- Along with a willingness to increase skills and knowledge base, must be a confident and motivated individual who can work independently of others and in a commercial and focused manner.
- Attention to detail is essential.
Salary and benefits
- Salary £20,000 per annum
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Study package available through apprentice scheme
- 25% staff discount after 6 months
- 20 days holiday, rising to 25 days after 5 years
- Statutory pension scheme