Senior Accountant, Global Accounting Policy and Research (Limerick)
GLOBAL ACCOUNTING POLICY AND RESEARCH
This position will be part of the Global Accounting Policy and Research team and be primarily involved in providing technical accounting support – performing and reviewing research and following-up with hands-on assistance in the application and implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and U.S. generally accepted accounting principles for the EMEA region. This position will report to the head of the Global Accounting Policy and Research team in Chicago.
Position provides a varied and hands-on exposure to all areas of the Corporation, both within the EMEA region and the consolidated Corporation, and allows for a breadth of experience supporting future advancement within the Corporation.
Responsible for producing deliverables for technical accounting areas acting as a subject matter expert. Determines resolutions for relevant issues and communicates those resolutions to Management. Uses research findings to ensure the Corporation is meeting all necessary compliance requirements in the assigned technical accounting areas.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS
- Be a self-starter with the desire to work in a high profile position, have the ability to perform work that requires critical thinking and attention to detail, and possess strong analytical and verbal and written communication skills. Possess the ability to handle multiple requests, and a proactive, hands-on approach to problem solving.
- Expertise in various areas of IFRS and U.S. GAAP technical accounting, such as financial instrument accounting, lease accounting, pensions, acquisitions, fair value measurement, share based compensation, taxes, etc.
- Familiarity with tracking U.S. GAAP vs IFRS vs other local GAAP differences
- Previous experience with Lux GAAP or willingness to learn
- Ability to identify relevant issues and perform research surrounding the assigned area of accounting and disclosure, as well as identify and communicate resolutions.
- Evaluate changes or proposed changes in new accounting pronouncements and regulations with potential relevance to the Northern Trust entities in the EMEA region’s financial reporting or accounting systems and work closely with finance and business unit personnel on implementation efforts.
- Research and respond to inquiries from business units in the EMEA region and provide guidance regarding the accounting for new or revised products, strategies and acquisitions, and the recording of complex transactions.
- Act as a contact for various internal and external partners, including business unit partners, internal auditors, external auditors, and regulators as needed.
- Oversee the establishment or updating of financial and accounting policies of the Corporation (Corporate Controller’s Manual) and/or individual legal entities and assist the business units in the application and adherence to established policies.
- Perform special analyses and participate in projects as required and prepares reports of detailed findings for management review.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
- Qualified Accountant with financial accounting experience. Experience in both a “Big 4” CPA firm and industry preferred.
- Excellent US GAAP and IFRS technical accounting knowledge/expertise.
- Experience in regulatory policy issues affecting the financial services industry preferred.
About Northern Trust
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 18,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
As of December 31, 2018, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $10.1 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $7.6 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.1 trillion in assets under management
- $132 billion in banking assets
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.