Finance Assistant (for Malaysian Nationals only) (For Roster)
UNDP, as an integral part of its mission to fight poverty and improve the lives of people around the world, is committed to being open, transparent and accountable. As part of this commitment, UNDP adopted International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) on 1 January 2012, and established the Global Shared Services Unit (GSSU) to serve UNDP’s network of offices (covering 166 countries around the world) in the provision of financial and accounting services. The GSSU has been fully functioning since 2012, and is presently expanding the breadth of its services to support expanded finance, accounting and procurement processes as well as to provide training to UNDP Offices where needed. The Chief, Global Shared Service Unit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is supervised – on a day-to-day basis by the Director, Global Shared Services Unit, Bureau for Management Services (BMS).
The Global Shared Services Unit (GSSU) within the Bureau for Management Services (BMS) supports all UNDP offices and units with the provision of transactional services. This includes a core set of transactions in Finance and HR that are already being handled by the Global Shared Service Unit (GSSU) in Kuala Lumpur. The GSSU is led by the Director of Office of Operations, Legal & Technology Services (OOLTS), who reports to the Director of Bureau for Management Services (BMS).
As part of this commitment, UNDP adopted International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) on 1 January 2012, and established the Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) to serve UNDP’s network of offices (covering 166 countries around the world) in the provision of financial, accounting and procurement services. The GSSC has been fully functioning since January 2012, and is presently expanding the breadth of its services to support expanded finance, accounting and procurement processes. In addition to their day-to-day operations, the GSSC personnel are also involved in supporting UNDP’s country offices through transactions support training where needed.
The Finance Assistant has a good understanding of the cases submitted by GSSC Management and applies SOPs to provide the required services. S/he may have to work for the different bureaus and offices, depending on Management’s needs and workload evolutions. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief, GSSC, the Finance Assistant is responsible to perform the below financial functions, for both accounting and treasury, including but not limited to:
- General Accounting
- Revenue Accounting
- Fixed Assets
- Investment Accounting
- Global Payroll
- Financial Resources Management
- Expense Management
- Treasury and cash transactions
Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Assistant supports the provision of accounting services to the Clustering, or Procure-to-Pay, or Record-to-Report and Revenue based on the teams s/he is assigned to, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work in line with the Standard Operating Procedures.
Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Ensures financial records are compliance with SOPs, IPSAS and other UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations
Provides accounting and finance support to COs and performs Global payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper review/validation of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Timely execution of pay cycle run and validation of payment data.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely follow up with COs on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for country offices and ensures that deposits are created and applied on timely manner, and in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations in accordance with guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Performs Payroll Administrator functions, which includes the recording of one time/recurring earnings and deductions, proper validation of payroll results for a timely disbursement of salaries as per the monthly payroll calendar.
- Performs timely travel and expense reconciliation
- Ensures proper adherence to Service Level Agreement (SLAs) and contributes to the establishment of a continuous improvement environment. Able to report and bring to Management’s attention on deviation from Service Agreements.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provides guidance and training to junior staff and other team members.
- Assist in functions relating Procure-to-Pay lifecycle
- Perform accounting tasks such as record invoice, analyses account payable and monitoring late payments, managing payment batches.
- Analyze payable accounts and monitor aging of invoices
- Assist in recording of general accounting transactions which includes assets, investment, inter-agencies, B2B and cash arrangement.
- Assist with analyzing of accounts and preparation of reconciliations; report aging balances; taking appropriate actions and tracking pending items.
- Assist with attending assets transactions with regards to basic add, assets transfer or disposal, leasehold improvement, intangibles, any adjustment or reclassification of fixed assets transactions.
- Assist in implementation of accounting, closing calendars, audit requirement and year end certifications.
- Process revenue accounting and treasury transactions.
- Examine and record transactions received in bank accounts
- Analyse queries relating to revenue and treasury and provide support to UNDP’s offices worldwide in these areas.
- Contribute to the evolution of services proposed by GSSC, recording its activities, analysing discrepancies, and participating in continuous improvements.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to examine and verify accounts and records
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
- Ability to manage organization's holdings with the ultimate goal of maximizing liquidity and mitigating risk
- Ability to receive, record, report and manage contributions
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Accurately accumulating information and its analysis; forecasting potential problems and planning; allowing for alternative, creative solutions and identifying most reasonable solutions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and/or Finance.
- University degree in Finance or Accounting desirable.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with Secondary Education or 2 years with Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or financial management, preferably in an international setting;
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required for external candidates.
- Fluency in English;
- Knowledge of any other UN languages (French/Spanish/Arabic, Russian, Mandarin) is a plus.
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office packages;
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
Important applicant information
Internal mobility at GSSU is strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to reassign the newly appointed staff members with similar skillset and educational qualifications for similar functions and job categories at the same level in GSSU. The internal lateral movements will be determined based on the needs of the organization while allowing the newly recruits to broaden their skills, build networks and gain fresh experience and to better align their profiles with the jobs.
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.