Operations Associate MM4P
UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia and the Pacific, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives.
UNCDF works to enlarge peoples’ choices: it believes that poor people and communities should take decisions about their own development. Its programmes help to empower women – over 50% of the clients of UNCDF-supported microfinance institutions are women – and its expertise in microfinance and local development is shaping new responses to food insecurity, climate change and other challenges. UNCDF works in challenging environments – remote rural areas, countries emerging from conflict – and paves the way for others to follow. Its programmes are designed to catalyze larger investment flows from the private sector, development partners and national governments, for significant impact on the Millennium Development Goals, especially Goal 1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger, Goal 3: Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women, and Goal 7: Ensure Environmental Sustainability.
Asia is one of the key and growing geography of programme implementation for UNCDF under digital and the programme is currently present in three countries (Nepal, Myanmar, Laos) and extending in two (Malaysia and China) more in first half of 2018. The position would be based in the UNCDF Office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and occasionally in UDP Office in Putrajaya as required.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Analyst and direct supervision of the Regional Technical Specialist (RTS), the Operations Associate ensures execution of transparent and efficient procurement and administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures efficient administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance
- Coordination of travel arrangements. Performing a Buyer role in Atlas for preparation of POs for travel and other administrative expenses.
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats
- Coordination of DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys, surveys for organization of common services.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Coordination of transportation services, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
3. Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the CO, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
4. Provides support for effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Confirmation of availability of funds prior to review by supervisor; creation of vendor set-up information in Atlas;
- Maintenance of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary.
- Coordination of services cost-recovery arrangements.
- Proper control of supporting documents of funds and activities.
- Provision of the information for the audit.
5. Coordination of services/office space focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination with CO in relation to office space management.
6. Organizes procurement support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
7. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff on the administrative procedures
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit and the execution of procurement services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the office and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Client Orientation: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Responds to client needs promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Excellent writing, communication and organization skills.
- Able to demonstrate high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Management, Accounting or Finance.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Six (6) years progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level or,
- Candidates having Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and three years of relevant work experience.
- Specialized training in office management and administration is highly desirable.
- Experience with a UN organization/agency is desirable.
- Experience with ATLAS and UNDP Procurement Processes is desired, but not a requirement.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English. Excellent writing, verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Mandarin, would be an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.