Are you looking for a role with a worthwhile organisation?
We are pleased to be working exclusively with an international not for profit organisation based in the centre of Cardiff. We are looking for an experienced Finance Director preferably with some charity accounting experience who is looking for their next challenge.
Aim of post
Finance Director is responsible for the organisation's financial health. At an operational level, the Finance Director manages the accounting and financial control functions to ensure the provision of timely financial information to SLT and trustees and compliance with legislation to meet regulatory requirements. At a strategic level, the Finance Director will establish an appropriate financial strategyfor the long–term sustainability of the organisation.
The role will play a key role in ensuring the finance team delivers an excellent service to the organisation as an effective business partner.
Finance and systems
- Manage cash flow planning and develop efficient foreign exchange strategies to ensure availability of funds to meet global organisational needs.
- Maintain the highest standards of financial management and control.
- Manage banking relationships.
- Work closely with country programmes to provide transparent finances and financial modelling that will ensure the organisation maximises the impact of funds raised.
- Lead the roll out of a new global finance system.
- Streamline information technology infrastructure and support across the UK office and country programmes to support collaborative working.
- Supervise and manage the UK financial team in the facilitation of day–to–day operations, to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions.
Strategy, planning and policy
- Lead the development and update of a financing strategy in the context of the group strategic plan.
- Develop and monitor three year financial business plans and forecasts.
- Lead the preparation of an annual operational budget and ensure these are managed effectively within budget.
- Develop and utilise forward–looking, predictive models and activity–based financial analyses to provide insight into the organisation's operations and business plans.
- Interpret complex financial information and provide updates and information as needed.
- Seek out methods and practices to minimise financial risk across the organisation.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, donors, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Remain up to date on non–profit audit best practices and charity law regarding non–profit operations.
Reporting and compliance
- Lead the production of the charity group's annual statutory accounts and liaise with the auditors.
- Ensure development and maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting.
- Manage the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and management reports, demonstrating progress made and highlighting challenges encountered.
- Ensure legal and regulatory requirement are met, including compliance with funder conditions.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA)
- Proven experience as a Finance Director or relevant role (minimum of 5 years)
- Experience managing and supervising a team
- Experience of working in an international organisation or business
- Understanding of the funding environment with experience of operating complex funding programmes
- Experience of managing risk and compliance issues
- Excellent communication,including strong writing skills,and interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning, co–ordination and prioritisation skills, capable of rapid and quality turn around on a high workload
- A strong interest in the organisation's purpose and vision
- Experience of working within a cross–cultural setting preferred
- French and / or Portuguese language skills an advantage
- Willingness to travel to country programmes, up to 2–3 times per year