Payroll Manager - MG2
Harrow Council are recruiting for a Payroll Manager to assist in the transition from a Shared Service back to the Council and establishing and running an in–house payroll function.
The Human Resources (HR) Shared Service brought together the HR and Payroll teams for Buckinghamshire County Council (BCC) and Harrow Council in 2016 with the aim of delivering a high quality, cost effective HR and payroll service to both Councils and their respective schools. This arrangement is coming to an end as of the 1st of October 2019 and detailed planning is now underway to ensure that this transfer has no service delivery impacts.
The majority of the services delivered to Harrow and its schools are currently provided by a dedicated HR shared service team already based in Harrow and both councils are working together ensure that there is a smooth transfer. Part of this transfer process will mean that there is a handover of knowledge from BCC to Harrow and this role will be critical in supporting the setting up of a high performing payroll service within the Council.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the strategic and operational leadership of the Payroll Service and will also be required to ensure the council fulfils its statutory obligations with respect to paying its employees and external customers both accurately and on time.
To be successful in this post, you will need to have the following skills and expertise:
- In–depth working knowledge of all aspects of payroll and related statutory reporting
- Degree and/or CIPP or equivalent professional body qualified or relevant work experience
- Strong experience in payroll management and operating payroll systems (preferably SAP) and payroll accounting and reconciliation.
- Sound experience of managing a multi–discipline team of operational/administrative and payroll staff to deliver a quality, proactive and customer–focussed HR administration and payroll service
- Broad understanding of the fundamentals of employment relationships, legislation and the principles
Harrow Council is located 10 miles from the centre of London and just 13 minutes to Euston from Harrow & Wealdstone station. There are also great transport links via the Metropolitan Line, London Overground and national rail service. It is easily accessible to the M1, M25 and A406.
For additional information please refer to the Role Profile/ Selection Criteria.
We particularly welcome female applicants, individuals under 25 years of age, those from the BAME community and disabled applicants, as they are under–represented within Harrow Council at this level. Appointment will always, however be made on merit.